Sunday, 17 April 2011

Review- Eternal Rider by Larissa Ione


I love the feeling of finding a gripping new series to read- immediately after I have finished the first book I rush off to Goodreads to add the next books in the series to my "must buy the minute it comes out" list.  I did exactly that with Eternal Rider by Larissa Ione, it was such a thoroughly thrilling read, full of detailed world building and fully fleshed out characters. It has the feeling of one of those great series where the author has a specific ending in mind and not a series that will just drift on and on, rehashing the same story for another 20 books.

Ares (War) is one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, his siblings Reseph (Pestilence) Thanatos (Death) and sister Limos (Famine) each have a seal with 2 prophecies and they must keep their respective seals intact. If broken the horseman will become their evil alter ego and will destroy the world.

Reseph's seal is broken (uh ohhh) and he becomes Pestilence spreading disease and plagues across the world and generally becomes the head evil bad guy, the remaining siblings must stop him whilst ensuring their own seals don't break. In to this comes Cara, a human with the ability to heal animals she unwittingly heals what she thinks is a puppy but is in fact a hell hound who slobbers all over her in gratitude thus bonding itself to her. A fallen angel transfers Ares (War's) seal to Cara which as a human will kill her, Ares has to ensure Cara and her hell hound stay alive or his seal will break and he will turn into War.

The two main characters Cara and Ares made this story for me. Cara starts out as quite vulnerable but immediately like able bonding with the hell hound "puppy" and her romance with Ares is deliciously slow in building, they are both quite guarded due to their previous traumatic experiences but when they do eventually get together (there is a certain upside down tree sex scene- honestly) its pretty explosive.

Eternal Riders sets up nicely for the other siblings who will get a book each, I cannot wait to see what happens with Pestilence who was deliciously evil and at one point had me at the edge of my seat. Thanatos (Death) initially believes Pestilence can be redeemed so it will be interesting to see if this is possible. Although this is a spin off from Larissa Ione's Demonica series (some of the characters such as Sin, Arik and Kynan make an appearance) it's not actually necessary to have read the series beforehand but if you haven't I would recommend reading them anyway as they are fantastic.

Overall I would give Eternal Rider a 4. I can't wait to read Immortal Rider, Limos and Arik's story, which will be out in December it's already on my "must buy the minute it comes out" list.

5 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh! Oh! I just bought this one today!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book alot too. I'm so glad the Demonica characters are part of this series. And I have to say, I prefer the UK cover! Very hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, definitely have to check this book out! I love her Demonica series. Have to add this to my never ending list of books I need to buy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored this book! I cannot wait until the next one! I made the mistake of reading the teaser and now I have to wait until Dec. It is my fav along with Dreams of a Dark Warrior for 2011 so far!

    Amanda P
    www.paranormalromancenovel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank you for an honest and insightful review, on a book that has been on my to-read list for a while. Apart from the striking & eye-cathcing, fantastical front cover it is the storyline for this genre that i find so engaging.

    I look forward to reading this amazing book in the future, which has captured my imagination already!! x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.