Monday, 4 April 2011

Review - Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Invincible is the second book in Sherrilyn Kenyon's YA series Chronicles of Nick which is a spin off from her Dark Hunter series.

First off, I love the character of Nick in the Dark Hunter series and thought the idea of Nick having his own series was fab especially when I realised how important a character he is. But (there's always a but isn't there?) why is this series YA? Don't get me wrong I love a bit of YA, is it because the series so far is about a 14 year old boy?, is it so that Dark Hunter fans who are mums can discuss zombies and Ash with their kids over dinner? or is it a more cynical move - there's a huge YA market let's make money. Hmmmmm.

Anyhoo, Nick finds himself battling a new coach (the old one was eaten I think) he's evil and he is stealing the souls of the team and blackmails Nick into helping him by stealing a personal item from each person or else Nick will find himself in the slammer and/or possibly dead. Nick is also learning more about his powers and trying to work out who his friends are. Yeah, you and me both Nick, I got totally confused! Whilst reading this I just wanted to shout at Nick phone Ash he'll help he's the good guy, I got quite frustrated if I'm honest!

We find out more about Ambrose (great cliffhanger ending), more about Caleb but only see tiny glimpses of Ash (swoon) Simi and Kyrian. I loved Nick's constant sarcasm and his love for his poor downtrodden yet proud and protective mum is so sweet.

Overall, the plot was interesting if a bit thin. I have read that Nick will have 10 books which to me feels like it's being dragged out, why not have a huge one off story like Acheron (which was epic and is one of my favourite books). Next up for Nick is Infamous but it's not due out for another 302 days, I will have forgotten what happened in Invincible by then for sure.

3 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about this series but not sure if I fancy it. Your rating is good though, so I might check it out :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna there are too many fab books out there right now I keep changing my mind on what I want to read next I only picked this as I am a fan of her Dark Hunters series but I wasn't majorly in love with this.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.