Saturday, 7 May 2011

Review - Die for me by Amy Plum

 
My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

So, everyone seems to be raving about Die for Me, the cover is gorgeous and the blurb sounds great, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Now that I'm finished reading it I am kind of left wondering if I have missed something or maybe read a different book from everyone else? I though it was okish, I found it quite slow and it just didn't live up to all of the hype for me.

I didn't really see the connection between Kate and Vincent, their moments together seemed quite stilted and awkward. The story was too slow for me, I kept losing interest and putting it down (that's not a good sign for me- when I love a book I usually cannot put it down and finish in one sitting) for me, it didn't really hold my interest or live up to it's potential.

I did enjoy the beautiful descriptions of Paris and liked Kate's grandparents. Bizarrely at one point I thought Kate's grandfather understood what Vincent and his enemy actually were, I though it was suggested, but it kind of came to nothing.

Overall, I found it a struggle to read, I kept thinking that there are so many other great books out there just now that I could have been reading, and maybe because I have been on a roll with great books recently this one just fell short. I'm swithering between saying Die For Me is a two and a half or a very generous three, I think I will stick with my original two and a half marking.

7 comments:

  1. That's a shame hun. I really enjoyed it, I rated it 4 stars :)
    I do that though, I'm on a roll with books and then I will get a not so good one in the middle. Not all books are for everyone and there are so many books I've read and didn't like them, lol I always wonder if I've read a different book to everyone else.
    Donna x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's it Donna - not all books are for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 stars is still a good rating though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, this is the first time I've seen a review where someone didn't like it. I've got this book on order and I'm still keen to read it. I thought your review was fair though, and not everyone is going to like the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw... sorry you didn't enjoy it. I found it interesting just trying to figure out what they were. I think that is what really kept my interest. Her sis did bug me a bit until the very end. I still don't trust her.

    Hopefully you'll enjoy the next one more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's nice to get another perspective and the 4 and 5 stars reviews, but I'm sorry you didn't quite like it. At least it sounds like it was decent. Hope you'll enjoy your next read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a disappointment! I am often a little learly to read books when there as been a lot of hype for them because I find my expectations are often inflated. Hopefully your next read will be a 5*!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.