Sunday, 8 May 2011

Review - Divergent by Veronica Roth


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Ok, deep breath, IT WAS AMAZING!! For me, it lived up to all of the hype and then some.

Divergent has compelling characters, tonnes of action and adventure and a tight and well thought out plot.
I thought the world building was flawless- society is divided into 5 factions; Abnegation (they are selfless), Amity  (peaceful), Dauntless (they are brave- and totally mental if you ask me) Erudite (intelligent) and Candor (who are honest), each faction member must display those characteristics, it was so well written and a little bit spooky!

From the start 16 year old Beatrice or Tris is different from her Abnegation "grey" family in that she questions things and comes across as completely oppressed. She has to choose between remaining in Abnegation with her family or being true to herself and her test results. Tris soon realises her place in her chosen faction isn't guaranteed and that she could still end up factionless, her actions throughout the initiation process demonstrate that she is a true divergent, displaying all the factions characteristics which made her an amazing character and I ended up loving her to bits. Tris kicks ass, she cries, she plots, she strategises, she's vulnerable but determined, she gets her own ass kicked; it's all there in well written glorious technicolour.

I can't not mention Four. *Swoon* I think he's a future book boyfriend. If you liked Dimitri in the Vampire Academy series you will love Four. He's a little bit mysterious, brave and intelligent and most importantly swoon worthy!

I also loved the background story - the politics and power games between the factions sat nicely in the background but came together well at the climax of the book. The ending was pure unedulterated edge of your seat stuff.

Overall, it is one of best books I have read so far this year and I can't wait for part two in the trilogy. 5 stars.

Regulars to my blog will know I have an extra copy of Divergent which I am giving away see HERE for details.

5 comments:

  1. Every review has had glowing reports about Divergent - one of the reasons I gave in and bought a copy today! If I like it even a fraction that you did I'll be happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review Lesley, cnt wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I just reviewed Divergent, and loved it also! Come by and check it out. Don't be a stranger fellow follower. Stop by and say hi :D

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though they say, don't judge a book by its cover, I usually can and am pretty accurate most of the time. I adored the 'Divergent' cover when I saw it and all reviews I have read so far confirm that its a great read :)

    Nice review !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this book, everyone has been giving it fantastic reviews, I'd been torn between adding this to my wish list an To Die For Me, as you've reviewed them both this week you've helped me make the decision!
    Hope you don't mind but I've linked your review to my On My Wishlist and also mentioned your giveaway.
    Louise
    www.book-bliss.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.