Monday, 23 May 2011

Review - Forgotten by Cat Patrick




Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-ifs in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.

I really enjoyed Forgotten and as the blurb promised it was a very thought provoking YA read.
London Lane's 16 year old brain resets itself at 4.33 am every morning she basically forgets everything that has happened and has to rely on writing herself little notes on what she wore the previous day and what stuff she has to remember for school. London also sees glimpses of the future in her dreams (which are more like nightmares at times) which she is able to remember but this is often a huge burden for her to bear.

She meets new guy Luke who she really, really likes but as she has no future memories of him she knows she has no actual future with him. She has to write little notes to herself each night to remind herself who he is as her brain wipes him out of existence each and every night.

I found London's condition quite heartbreaking at times, she has to fumble through high school life relying on notes to remind herself about mundane things like homework and PE kit, although no-one at school seems to notice though they just think shes a bit scatty.

The real killer for me was her brain wiping Luke out of existence each night. Luke is so sweet; he's romantic and artistic (he paints ears which is admittedly, a bit odd) but London wakes up each day with no memory of him, they kind of have to start afresh each day. (although she does get to have that OMG moment when she sees him for the first time each day and realises how gorgeous he is!)

Equally, London has the burden of seeing glimpses of the future and knows the mistakes her best friend is making and the effect it will have on her for the rest of her life. Should she interfere? does her friend want to listen to her? It really tugged at my heartstrings.

Forgotten also has a really great mystery running throughout which was really well written and certainly kept me guessing. London has to figure out if her reoccurring dream is a future prediction or a past memory, she knows she needs to unlock the memory and figure out who and what it's about.

There are a couple of really good twists and turns in the plot and the ending really caught me by surprise. (I'm trying really hard here not to give anything away!)

Overall, I really enjoyed Forgotten, the emotional storyline really did tug at my heartstrings and it had the added bonus of a clever little mystery and sweet romance. Its a 4 from me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I've never heard of Forgotten before but it sounds great. I love the idea of her forgetting everything that happened the previous day. That must be terrible. I'm interested to see how she deals with it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually sounds awesome, and a bit like the film memento! I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really, want this book now. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this book! I sounds like a much more serious version of the movie 50 first dates (or maybe it's nothing like that except for the memory loss part). I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the ending so much I wanted to cry of joy. Although I was disappointed when I found out that Cat Patrick isn't going to write a sequel. There's one thing that is not solve in the book and I though she was going to write more about it in the next book. I kind of get why she'll leave Forgotten as a stand alone book but, I was hoping to read more about London's condition and all the character in the book.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.