Thursday, 5 May 2011

Review - The Goddess Test

It's always been just Kate and her mom- and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld- and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy- until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. If she fails...

The Goddess Test is a fantastically well written and captivating book which provides a real modern YA twist on Greek mythology. What touched me the most was the relationship between Kate and her dying mother. I really empathised with Kate as her mother's main carer and the intense sadness Kate has- she can't face discussing death with her mother and is definitely not ready to say goodbye to her. I thought this was handled with real thought and care by Aimee Carter. I personally got really caught up in this especially at the start of the book (Okay I cried) I really understood Kate's willingness to do anything to have a little extra time with her mother and enter into the bargain with Henry. I was really captivated by the character of Kate, by her selflessness, her quiet strength and determination to pass the seven tests not just for her mother but for Henry as she starts to fall for him.

The character of Henry or Hades was not quite what I expected of the ruler of the underworld, at first I thought he seemed quite "youngish" but he really grew on me. I enjoyed the twist that he had released Persephone from the underworld as he loved her so much, my knowledge of Hades amounted to him carting her off against her will and forcing her to stay for 6 months of the year. I enjoyed the growing romance between Kate and Henry it was very sweet and captivating. 

I thought the ending was a perfect conclusion, I didn't see it coming at all. I do want to see more of James I thought there was loads of potential there (maybe in the next book?) Overall, I enjoyed every minute of The Goddess Test it really tugged at my heartstrings. Thanks to Net galley and Harlequin Teen for giving me the chance to read the book, I enjoyed it so much I ended up buying it so that I could keep it forever. 5 stars.

5 comments:

  1. This is a book that has been on my TBR list since I started reading reviews of ARCs ages ago! I keep reading all of these glowing reviews about it and all it does is reinforce my belief that I must read it soon, and make me a little sad that I haven't had a chance to read it yet! ;)

    Excellent review I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. Was a very well written good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like trying a new genre/subject that I've never read before, and I have yet to read any YA book focusing on Greek mythology (so far I have vampires, faeries, dystopia, historical, witches, and fantasy under my belt!)... I have read some really great reviews on this book and yours is totally convincing me I need to pick this one up! Thanks, Lea from LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! I loved this as well-I don't think I know anyone who hasn't! I can't wait to see more of James either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so intrigued by this book, but have seen so many mixed review. Thanks for yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.