Monday, 30 May 2011

Review- Hounded by Kevin Hearne


Hounded by Kevin Hearne
Release date: May 3rd
Publisher: Del Ray
Buy it: Amazon
My rating: 4

The blurb:
Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.
Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Hounded was a fantastic fun, fast paced and fresh read. Atticus O'Sullivan is the last of the Druids and is 1,200 years old . Atticus is pretty yummy on the cover and pretty yummy inside I liked him immediately in fact he might be my first "Druid" crush. He's a laid back, witty and earthy (that will be the Druidy bit) guy who likes the ladies (well Goddesses mostly) and has a favourite Irish pub. I loved the fact that despite being 1,200 years old Atticus is not anything like these ancient stuffy vampires I usually read about who still speak and act like they did when they became vampires. Atticus has adapted to the modern world and is pretty up to date but can still throw in a little story about Shakespear for effect. (he gets excellent name dropping points from me). His side kick Oberon is an adorable hilarious Irish Wolfhound who speaks to him telepathically about his dog like obsession with Genghis Khan and finding himself some French poodle action.

Not only is Atticus being hunted by a Fae God for his magical sword, he's got some mean Polish witches on his back and various Gods and Goddesses after him- it's not always clear to Atticus (or to the reader) who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. There are fight scenes galore and Celtic and Norse mythology but not too much that it becomes a history lesson.

What made it really fresh for me was that its written by a guy and from a male point of view. I personally don't read many books like that, so I could actually see my husband reading it too (well if Sky Sports stopped working or something). I loved the wry humour and action and cannot wait for Hexed which is out on the 7th of June I've already pre-ordered it.

2 comments:

  1. I've read first 6 chapters on the author's website and really liked it. And the covers are yummy. I'm definitely buying all three books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! Great review! And the cover is very nice!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.