Sunday, 29 May 2011

Review - Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Release date: January 1st 2011
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Buy it: Amazon
My rating: 5 out of 5


When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.

I actually had Perfect Chemistry on my bookshelf for months before I actually picked it up and gave it a chance. I think it was Donna over at Book Passion for Life who kept telling me it was wonderful that finally made me pick it up and I am soooo glad that I did, although I think I may in fact be the last person in the world to read it. I ended up completely absorbed in it and finished it in a matter of hours.

It's a predictable but completely unputdownable fantastic little love story. Told from the alternating perspectives of Alex the local bad boy Hispanic gang member who secretly has a heart of gold and Brittany the perfect cheerleader who has a very unperfect home life with a cruel and overbearing perfectionist mother and a severely disabled sister, this is a story about two people who are both putting on a face for the outside world. Despite their obvious differences they are actually very similar. For me, the story was about not judging people by outward appearances.

If you haven't read it yet (hopefully there is one such person left in the world?) go and buy it or borrow it you will not regret it. I have the sequel sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read, I wont wait so long this time I promise.

7 comments:

  1. You're not the last person in the world to read this- I have this sitting on my shelf and really want to read it but I don't know when I'll get a chance (I have sooo many books!) Great review though- I'll get to it soon... hopefully! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! Make me want to read it even more <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I really want to read this. I'll check my library for it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this and almost bought it a few weeks ago..but decided against it. Maybe i'll check it out from the library. Great review thanks!

    Jessica
    Http://curledupwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you loved this just as much as I did. Alex is just wow! Fab review :) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read/bought any of these yet, I believe there's three? I'm going to go add it to my wishlist!

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.