Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Review- Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz


What’s a girl to do when meeting The One means she’s cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn’t been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she’s irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can’t stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma’s been having the oddest dreams. Visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.


I knew I was going to adore Spellbound about two chapters in, granted there are loads of YA "soul mate" type books out there but this was so well written and romantic I couldn't put it down and devoured it in one day.

Spellbound was more than just the "nice girl with tragic background melts the heart of local rich, but down to earth VERY VERY YUMMY bad boy with a heart of gold" story.
It also had fantastic side characters namely witchy best friend Angelique (I want her book now!) and a very convincingly evil high school bad guy.

What made Spellbound stand out for me was the story of the necklace (which Emma had been given by the brother she lost) and the legend and ancient curse that they discover. I really enjoyed their doomed love story and the race to break the curse to stay alive.

Overall I thought Spellbound was thoroughly entertaining and very romantic. A big thank you to Net Galley and Harlequin Teen for the chance to read Spellbound, I will definitely be buying it once it's released on June 21st. 4 stars.

8 comments:

  1. I have this to read and you've made me want to start it NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would! I couldn't put it down so make sure you tell everyone around you not to interupt you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been hearing a lot of great things about this book and will definitely be checking it out once its available! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book before, but it's got an interesting premise. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book also. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across this book many times but never bothered to read the review. Sounds great.Thanks for sharing.
    кєяo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm... I keep passing this one up and maybe I shouldn't. Oh, gave me some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds pretty awesome, I like the necklace angle. I'll look out for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.