Friday, 13 May 2011

Review - Tangled Threads by Jennifer Estep




I’d rather face a dozen lethal assassins any night than deal with something as tricky, convoluted, and fragile as my feelings.

But here I am. Gin Blanco, the semi-retired assassin known as the Spider. Hovering outside sexy businessman Owen Grayson’s front door like a nervous teenage girl. One thing I like about Owen: he doesn’t shy away from my past—or my present. And right now I have a bull’s-eye on my forehead.

Cold-blooded Fire elemental Mab Monroe has hired one of the smartest assassins in the business to trap me. Elektra LaFleur is skilled and efficient, with deadly electrical elemental magic as potent as my own Ice and Stone powers. Which means there’s a fifty-fifty chance one of us won’t survive this battle. I intend to kill LaFleur—or die trying—because Mab wants the assassin to take out my baby sister, Detective Bria Coolidge, too.

The only problem is, Bria has no idea I’m her long-lost sibling . . . or that I’m the murderer she’s been chasing through Ashland for weeks. And what Bria doesn’t know just might get us both dead. . . .

I am a huge fan of this series; every book seems to get better and better. I think what makes it special for me is the amazing characters, they are so well written that I am completely emotional involved in them.

First and foremost, Gin is the coolest kick ass assassin ever; she’s protective of those she loves but make no mistake she is absolutely lethal. What makes Gin such a fantastic character to me is the vulnerability she displays relationship wise. In Tangled Threads she is still getting over her previous lover Donovan’s rejection of her due to her assassin "occupation", and she is waiting for the very yummy Owen to do the same. She very gradually seems to be realising that Owen does accept her. The romantic in me wants Gin and Owen to have their happy ever after but I have this sneaky suspicion we haven’t seen the last of Donovan.

I absolutely love Gin’s “family” (well kind of family), Finnegan Lane her step brother is ever so smooth and charming but equally as lethal with a gun or a computer but the Deveraux sisters are my favourite side characters, I really enjoyed their side stories Jennifer Estep posted recently on her web site. (Yes, I really am a complete Jennifer Estep stalker type fan)

I have loved the introduction of Bria (Gin’s long lost baby sister) and can feel the longing Gin has to be accepted by her sister. The uncertainty in their relationship really tugs at my heart strings. I so want a happy ending for Gin I really think she deserves it. Oh, and while I’m at it, I also want Bria and Finnegan to get together. Just saying.

Tangled Threads is action packed galore as to be expected as this is a really gritty and often violent series (that’s why I love it). The assassin versus assassin fight scenes between Gin and La Fleur were real edge of your seat stuff. I love the changing in Gin’s elemental powers, her ice magic is as predicted by Jo-Jo is coming to fruition which will make the eventual battle with all-time baddie Mab Monroe even more exciting. I cannot wait for the next instalment; this is one of the few series that I pre-order.

It’s a 5 from me, it's a keeper

2 comments:

  1. I loved La Fleur, I thought she was a good flip side of Gin. Oh how I loved this book too! Can't wait till the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like something I might really enjoy - for as much as I love YA; sometimes it is just a little too soft :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me back here :)

    Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.