Monday, 23 May 2011

Review - Where She Went by Gayle Forman





It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

I only read If I Stay a few weeks ago so it was still really fresh in my mind when I started Where She Went. I enjoyed If I Stay and cried a little bit at then end, however I totally cried my eyes out at Where She Went, it is the most amazing sequel in fact I actually loved it more than the first book.

Where She Went is written from Adam's point of view and is set 3 years after If I Stay. Mia has left Oregon for Julliard and has cut off all ties with Adam. He is now a celebrity as his band Shooting Star have hit the big time but Adam is basically a complete wreck. He's jumpy, paranoid, bitter and completely messed up over the way Mia ended their relationship. Adam attends one of Mia's concerts in New York and agrees to meet her after her show and they spend time together and finally get to discuss why Mia left.

Mia seems so strong in comparison to Adam, she finds comfort in surrounding herself in photographs and memories of her parents and beloved younger brother whereas Adam is still grieving both of the loss of Mia and her family.
Adam just makes me want to sigh contentedly, he's an intense but sensitive rock star type and despite the fame and money has never really got over the only girl he has ever loved. I absolutely felt his pain and loneliness and could understand the bitterness he felt towards Mia but when Mia explained her reasons for leaving, like Adam, I could feel myself melting (and crying some more!)

I loved the little grunge references and flashbacks to their teenage years and camping trip. Do you know what bit caused me to cry the most? The guitar bit *sobs* I absolutely loved it and thought the ending was perfect. Gayle Forman writes so beautifully I was completely gripped the whole way through and devoured it in just a few hours.

If you haven't read it please go and buy it and while you are at it buy some hankies you will need them. It's a five from me and Where She Went is now proudly displayed on my keeper shelf.

3 comments:

  1. I finished If I Stay a little while ago and loved it, I am so excited to read this sequel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I Stay and Where She Went top my 2011 list for favourite reads. I know that I will read them over and over again! So glad to hear that you enjoyed Where She Went so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.