Sunday, 26 June 2011

Review - The Duff by Kody Keplinger

The Duff
Kody Keplinger
Little Brown/Poppy
Publication date: 7th September
Goodreads
My rating: 4.5 out of 5



Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) is my first attempt at listening to an audio book. I have honestly never thought about audio books before, I enjoy reading and thought it was erm, a bit lazy to listen to someone else reading?? Anyhoo, I thought that it might be good to try one just to see if I liked it. I had visions of me listening to it on my ipod whilst ironing or driving to work or taking my dog Harry to the park or something else actually more productive. It didn't quite work out like that. My initial thoughts were why is she reading so slooooooow? I'm a fast reader and I realised I had hoovered my entire house and she still hadn't finished the first chapter so it was a bit frustrating.  Her accent was quite annoying, a bit like Alicia Silverstone in Clueless but as I started to get into the story I ended up really enjoying the nice lady reading to me and her accent actually suited the story. I realised the nice lady was probably acting and that she was quite good at it actually. As it turned out I didn't do anything productive whilst listening to the nice lady as I got quite chilled out and COULDN'T BE BOTHERED! it was sooo relaxing and I am now an audio book convert.

About the actual story- It was brilliant, I laughed out loud, cried a bit and was outraged on more than one occasion. I wanted to strangle Bianca who is cynical, sarcastic and a complete pain in the arse but then she is loyal, loveable and painfully insecure so I wanted to then hug her and tell her everything will be alright. I thought Kody Keplinger nailed the whole teenager thing (well she should do she's one herself!) I loved Wesley the school hottie who firmly believes he is God's gift to girls even though I knew I shouldn't, but I honestly couldn't help myself. I also adored the character development of both Bianca and Wesley, I was rooting for them the whole way through. This is my type of YA book there is loads of swearing throughout and some very hot and delicious scenes but it's not too graphic. It just felt very realistic to me.

I enjoyed it so much I want to buy a copy so that I can keep it on my bookcase defeating the purpose entirely I know, but that's the one thing about audio books I don't like, how do you turn the pages over to mark your favourite bits?

4 comments:

  1. I've heard really good stuff about this book, I think I will have to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added this to my TBR Wishlist - Not in audio book format though! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one last week and LOVED it too! I'll definitely be buying more books from this author!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been listening to audiobooks for almost 3 years now and bad narration has ruined MANY lauded books for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.