Thursday, 30 June 2011

Review- Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke

Flying Blind
Deborah Cooke
New American Library
Publication date: 7th June
Goodreads
My rating: 4 out of 5

Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp.

Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind.

Zoe is a dragon shape shifter and the only female of her kind but has yet to fully come into her dragon powers, after defending her best friend against school bullies Zoe's inner dragon is unleashed and she is sent by her father to Dragon boot camp to help her learn some control with fellow dragon shape shifters Nick (who Zoe believes is her destined mate), Garret and Liam.

With no other female dragon shifters Zoe is quite alone and confused, not only does she have the normal teenage angst to deal with about boobs, periods and boys but also has the added worry about what colour her tail will turn out to be and when she will finally learn how to fly. I think that's why I felt quite sorry for Zoe despite her somewhat brattish behaviour at times, I really enjoyed her list writing throughout it made me chuckle.

I thought the story really picked up with the introduction of Jared a fantastically hot biker boy with special mad skills. He doesn't see Zoe as a kid (like the other dragon boys) he sees the potential in her, assisting her to believe in herself and start to unlock her special dragon powers. However, evil Mages are at work in dragon boot camp, setting the young dragons against Zoe and putting her at risk it's pretty much up to young Zoe with her new fledgling powers to save the day and save the rest of the dragons.

I think Flying Blind might be the first YA dragon type book I've read. I love reading about dragons generally and I'm sure I was probably unconsciously comparing Flying Blind to some of the other dragon books I've read such as the G.A. Aitken/Shelly Laurenston series which is fab and steamy hot! I had to keep reminding myself Flying Blind is a YA book and therefore its unfair to compare it. That said, I really enjoyed it it had loads of action and adventure and the next book in the series Winging It can't come soon enough especially if there is more Jared in it. Yes, more Jared is exactly what I want.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked Firelight but I'm not sure if I'd like this one! I think I'll look out for it, it looks interesting. Great review!

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing! It's on my TBR list, may get it from a giveaway gift card!

    My review for Fire and Thorns is up and you should get it next week! :)

    Jade @ Ink Scratchers

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.