Monday, 6 June 2011

Review- Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh

Kiss of Snow
Nalini Singh (Berkley Publishing Group)
Publication date: 31st May
Amazon

Since the moment of her defection from the PsyNet and into the SnowDancer wolf pack, Sienna Lauren has had one weakness. Hawke. Alpha and dangerous, he compels her to madness.
Hawke is used to walking alone, having lost the woman who would've been his mate long ago. But Sienna fascinates the primal heart of him, even as he tells himself she is far too young to handle the wild fury of the wolf.
Then Sienna changes the rules-and suddenly, there is no more distance, only the most intimate of battles between two people who were never meant to meet. Yet as they strip away each other's secrets in a storm of raw emotion, they must also ready themselves for a far more vicious fight...
A deadly enemy is out to destroy SnowDancer, striking at everything they hold dear, but it is Sienna's darkest secret that may yet savage the pack that is her home-and the alpha who is its heartbeat.

I feel like I have been waiting for Kiss of Snow for years, I love Nalini Singh's psy/changeling series how much you say? enough that I pre-ordered the hardback version from TBD and nearly exploded into a million tiny pieces when it didn't arrive. That's OK I thought, I can download it on my kindle. Errr no I couldn't as it was being released a full 2 days later in the UK. 2 whole days! So I waited until 12.01pm on the UK day (well night) of release and it didn't magically appear on my kindle. By 12.15pm I gave in and downloaded it from ibooks and stayed up until after 3am reading it despite having to get up for work at 6.30am. Guess what arrived at 8.30ish? Oh yes that would be my "lost" hardback copy. My point is, I love this series so much I was prepared to pay for it twice, my other point is I should learn to be patient it's costing me a fortune.

Anyhoo, it was brilliant. The end. Only joking. Was it worth it? Yes and then some. It was Hawke for goodness sake...

Nalini has been tantalising me since the start of the series with little morsels of Hawke the Snowdancer Alpha and I genuinely could not wait to read it (see above ramble). Unlike some fans I wasn't bothered about the age gap between Hawke and Sienna the ex-psy who has been tormenting Hawke since she arrived at the Snowdancer den. I thought Nalini dealt with the age thing really well as Sienna explains to Hawke she hasn't been a child since Ming took her away to train at the age of five. I also loved eventually finding out what the "X" powers Sienna had and really really enjoyed Sienna tormenting Hawke by dancing on top of the bar and wearing smexy boots. Sienna's frustration with Hawke and her fears for the Lauren family and the wider den made Sienna seem much more vulnerable than I had ever seen her and I felt it made her more endearing.

There was plenty of my favourite characters Sasha and Luke and their new arrival (so sweet), plenty of Judd Lauren and a really enjoyable little additional love story between Walker (Sienna's uncle) and Lara the Snowdancer healer.

Hawke what can I say? *sighs contentedly* he's Mr Alpha wolf in the extreme: demanding, domineering almost feral at times but he shows a softer side in his dealings with the pups which makes my heart melt every time. When Sienna and Hawke eventually get it on its hot, explosive and completely drool worthy.

Nalini's books always have tonnes of action, Kiss of Snow saw the war with the Psy council heat up dramatically, the Ghost and the Arrows still kept me guessing although there wasn't much of Kaleb - I so want to read his book, is he the Ghost or is he connected to the Ghost in some way?

For me though, it was all about the long awaited romance between Hawke and Sienna. The final scene left me in a puddle on the floor. Exquisite.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book!
    You're right, it was Hawke for goodness sake (so it was always going to be awesome) but Nalini Singh exceeded expectation.

    I almost wish there was another Hawke/Sienna instalment, or a short-story to follow up with them.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! ^ I feel like there should be more of Hawke and Sienna. There didn't seem to be much time after they FINALLY got together.

    It was nice to see Hawke finally get his HEA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want it---I want it---I want it----won't buy it till I finish the rest of the series LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review! I haven't been able to read this yet, hopefully this week though!!! I just have loved this series, and Hawke has to be my favorite characters!!! I have heard only great things about this one, so I can't wait to get my hands on this one and devour it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Danielle - oh a follow up story would be fab

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep seeing Nalini's name around but haven't gotten around to reading any books of hers yet - I think you might've just tipped me into the "I really must get my hands on something!" of theirs camp!

    I'm a new follower, by the way!

    If you feel like it, maybe you could stop by my blog - I'm taking part in a massive Small Blogs, Big Giveaways at the moment (winner gets 16 books!) and also have an EU giveaway of Dead Reckoning happening!

    Beth @ A little sun shy

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.