It's Wednesday which means it's book boyfriend day. My book boyfriend began over at The Unread Reader and has now pretty much taken over my Wednesday's. Every Wednesday I drool over a fictional male character and rack my brains to think of what yummy person I will use in pictures to make everyone else drool too.
This weeks book boyfriend is Valek from The Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. This book was one of those of those books I bought on a whim and loved so much I read the whole series in a week. Valek was a character I thought was going to be a real baddie but he turned out to be protective, fierce, intelligent and ruthless and an all round perfect book boyfriend.
1. He is the Chief of Security in Ixia. He deliberately feeds Yelena Butterfly Dust a "poison" thus tying Yelena to staying in Ixia as the Commander's food taster as she relies on Valek for her daily antidote. Don't worry it turns out he didn't really poison her he's a good guy, honest.
2. He's a spymaster and is in charge of a network of spies. He knows everything.
3. He is a patient and deadly assassin.
4. He has deep blue eyes and a sculpted body. He sometimes wears a uniform (woo hoo)
4. He saves Yelena on numerous occasions and eventually falls in love with her.
"What have I earned from you, Valek? Loyalty? Respect? Trust?"
"You have my attention. But give me what I want, and you can have everything."
"The uniform enhanced his athletic body, and my thoughts drifted to how magnificent he would look with his uniform puddled around his feet."
"Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you." Valek's warm breath in my ear sent a shiver down my spine.
"But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.”
“That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked and thrilled me.
“Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me." He rolled me over to face him. Before I could make another sound he kissed me.
Thanks to the lovely Chad White for being my Valek