Thursday, 28 July 2011

Review- A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark
Jocelyn Davies
Harper Teen
Publication date: 27th September
My rating: 3 out of 5


On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites--like fire and ice--Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move--only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark fell short of my expectations, it was just too slow for me by about half way through nothing had really happened yet and I had started to loose interest.

Moreover, the love triangle just didn't really do it for me. I couldn't really see Skye picking either Devin or Asher, Devin was a bit too straight laced and closed up and Asher was a bad boy who didn't really do anything bad apart from flirt with other girls. Usually when there is a love triangle going on I firmly park myself on one "team" or the other but I just didn't really like either of them much. At one point I rather hoped Skye would pick her normal friend Ian who makes a mean latte but it wasn't to be.

It did pick up a bit after the half way mark and I ended up quite enjoyed the mythology/ angel history lesson and I found myself really completely taken aback by the ending which was a bit of a shocker. Overall, A Beautiful Dark is one of those books that was just interesting enough to keep me reading but didn't really grab me.

Thanks to Harper Teen and Net Galley for the chance to read A Beautiful Dark before it's publication date.

5 comments:

  1. I saw this review on Goodreads too! I have this to read but I think I'll bump it down the TBR pile a bit - there are books that I'm much more excited about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I guess I'm going to have to take this off my wishlist now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's had really mixed reviews some people have really loved it but it just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt that way about Fury. Good to know about this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asher and Devin are the new guys at school, and they both seem to have an intense attraction to Skye. I really liked Asher¿s character. He was funny and a little bit on the snarky side. He really seemed to be into Skye, although you can tell at times he¿s resisting. I enjoyed reading about the times they were together. Devin on the other hand, I found to be a bit too mysterious. I wasn¿t able to connect with his character much, but he did have his moments a few times. I¿m definitely Team Asher.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.