Thursday, 21 July 2011

Review - Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Knopf books for young readers
Publication date: 26th Oct 2010
My rating: 4.5 out of 5


“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”
So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

Dash and Lily correspond and then finally meet via a red moleskin notebook Lily left in the Strand bookshop, they send each other on dares and pass the notebook back and forward to each other revealing their innermost thoughts and feelings and in the process meet and interact with Lily's bonkers family and Dash's bizarre but sweet friends.

I absolutely adored the characters, Lily is very sweet and reminded me a bit of Luna from the Harry Potter series all floaty and a bit kooky. Dash is witty, sarcastic and bristly and is quickly renamed Snarl by Lily's family but underneath he really wants to believe there is someone out there for him . I found their bookish flirting completely irresistible.

There are so many quirky funny scenes and tonnes of quotable lines throughout the entire book. I thought Dash had the funniest scenes from him having to feel up Santa to get the notebook back whilst Santa laughs "Oh ho ho ho" in his ear and the Elf calls security as horrified parents look on, to the hilarious conversation with Lily's Aunt about what tea he wants to drink and the Washington Square Mommies activating an online crimson alert when Dash hits a kid in the eye with a snowball all made me literally snort with laughter.

Thoroughly entertaining and witty with a fantastic twisty plot line Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is by far the funniest book I have read so far this year. As Lily herself  said "It was clown crazy. I loved it"

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one but I want to read it now!

    Great review - I think this sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a lot of fun indeed. It's new to me but I immediately added it to my to-read list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on my TBR pile, it looks super cute and fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This ones on my wishlist! I might have to get it soon though because it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.