Monday, 25 July 2011

Review - Dead On The Delta by Stacey Jay

Dead On The Delta
Stacey Jay
Pocket
Publication date: 31st May
My rating: 4.5 out of 5

Once upon a time, fairies were the stuff of bedtime stories and sweet dreams. Then came the mutations, and the dre-ams became nightmares. Mosquito-size fairies now indulge their taste for human blood—and for most humans, a fairy bite means insanity or death. Luckily, Annabelle Lee isn’t most humans. The hard-drinking, smart-mouthed, bicycle-riding redhead is immune to fairy venom, and able to do the dirty work most humans can’t. Including helping law enforcement— and Cane Cooper, the bayou’s sexiest detective—collect evidence when a body is discovered outside the fairy-proof barricades of her Louisiana town.
But Annabelle isn’t equipped to deal with the murder of a six year- old girl or a former lover-turned-FBI snob taking an interest in the case. Suddenly her already bumpy relationship with Cane turns even rockier, and even the most trust-worthy friends become suspects. Annabelle’s life is imploding: between relationship drama, a heartbreaking murder investigation, Breeze-crazed drug runners, and a few too many rum and Cokes, Annabelle is a woman on the run—from her past, toward her future, and into the arms of a darkness waiting just for her. . . .

I love gritty Urban Fantasy, on one hand I love the strong kick ass chicks however, I also have a huge soft spot for the flawed female characters with a self destructive streak that occasionally pop up in UF, they just seem more realistic to me. Annabelle in Dead on the Delta is a perfect example of a gritty, flawed female character. A med school drop out who has had a difficult upbringing she wants an uncomplicated slacker type lifestyle: she rides a bike, lives pretty much hand to mouth despite earning a good wage and doesn't want to commit to her very lovely and understanding cop boyfriend Cane. She's also pretty much an alcoholic and pops pills like dolly mixtures to help her sleep at night. She's complicated but I really liked her pretty much from the start, she reminds me of Chess from Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series which is one of my all time favourite series.

There's loads going on in Dead on the Delta. Firstly, there are scary fairies who have evolved after a chemical spill, they no longer sing and make stuff out of acorns a la Tinkerbell they are now bigger and have huge jaws, one fairy bite will either kill a human outright (if the person is lucky) or you get carted away to a government run camp for a long agonising death. Nice. Annabelle like only 1% of the population is immune to fairy bites which is why it's her job to pick up fairy poo (it can be made into an addictive substance called Breeze which makes people go insane) and she can also leave the iron gated community the remaining population are forced to live behind for their own safety. Annabelle is sent to retrieve the body of a local eight year old girl who has been murdered and finds herself not only in the middle of the murder investigation but in the middle of a bit of a love triangle as her ex boyfriend who is now an FBI agent comes to town to help with the investigation.

I liked the fact there was more emphasis on the gritty murder mystery than the love triangle in Dead on the Delta. I actually wasn't too keen on either Hitch the ex boyfriend (now FBI agent) or Caine the current boyfriend, neither of which really stood out much for me, I couldn't really see Annabelle with either of them really.

Equally, I adored the swampy Southern atmosphere which literally poured through Dead on the Delta and the world building was pretty amazing, it wasn't too far away from reality that it seemed kind of possible. The scary fairies were fantastic and there are hints of magic nicely set up for the second book in the series.

Overall, Dead on the Delta is a really fast paced edgy read with loads of twists and turns that kept me on my toes throughout. My immediate thoughts when I finished it were: 1. Wow great ending never saw that coming. 2. I want the next book Blood on the Bayou NOW! I immediately added it to my "I want to buy it the minute it comes out" list on goodreads. Promising and full of potential and is definitely the kind of UF that I love.

4 comments:

  1. I love that whenever I'm thinking about buying a book, you always seem to review it making me go out and buy it that weekend! I think I'm you but a month in the past..:)

    Sounds like exactly the type of book I love so will be popping into Waterstones to buy the copy I saw last weekend as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I think you will love it Mel we have similar (in my opinion amazing) taste. Great minds think alike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *just* got this book last weekend!! I almost picked it up after I finished Sahdowfever, but decided to read A Rush of Wings instead. Thanks for the review!! I makes me uber excited to read it!

    sinn @ sinnful books

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've bought this book too ! I'm very curious to read it now !

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.