Friday, 1 July 2011

Review - Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass
Myra McEntire
Egmont USA
Publication date: 14th June
Goodreads
My rating: 5 out of 5

One hour to rewrite the past . . .
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Hourglass was completely unputdownable, so much so that I wanted to ditch work to finish reading it. It's atmospheric, intelligent and intriguing with twists galore that kept me guessing right to the end.

Emerson is a pretty cool character, despite losing her parents in a tragic accident, ending up in a mental institution and seeing ghostly apparitions on a daily basis she still manages to be sarcastic and slightly kick ass-ish. Since coming off her medication Emerson is now seeing full ghostly scenes with pianos and accompanying music and is often unable to distinguish what is real and what is a ghost. Her brother finds her help in the form of Michael (yummy- nuff said) from the very mysterious Hourglass organisation. Michael can also see ghosts and therefore understands Emerson's situation and it's not long before sparks being to fly (quite literally) between them. At that point the story really gets interesting. Hourglass is not just a romantic love story or a ghost story, these kids have powers. The added element of kids with cool powers (including time travel) really made the book for me I really didn't see it coming at all!

Hourglass has a really fast paced and intricate plot, there was parts where I was still wondering if Michael was a good guy or not, there is one little delicious scene where I really though he was going to turn evillllllll I really was kept guessing the whole way through. I cannot wait for the next installment which I hope has more of the rather delectable Kaleb, one of the talented people who I thought was double yummy. Overall I thought Hourglass was really special, gorgeous cover and really fantastic inside too.

9 comments:

  1. Waaaaah! Can't wait to read! I just have Hereafter by Tara Hudson to finish then I swear Hourglass will be my next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I don't have this one yet but it sounds so good. I'll have to get a copy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this! Great review hun - Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing this book floating around the book blogosphere, but I think this is the first review I have read on it-- you have totally got me interested! This one is on my TBR list, but I might just have to bump it up a few notches!

    Thanks for the great review :)

    ~Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've seen so many mixed opinions on this that I wasn't sure about it- but you've convinced me that I need to give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading Hourglass now and I love it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved it too. Refreshingly original!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While the cover didn't really draw me in, your review has me wanting it. It sounds awesome. I'll definitely be buying this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I read a review of this book I get greener and greener. I just keep torturing myself! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.