Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Review- Love Story by Jennifer Echols

Love Story
Jennifer Echols
MTV
Expected publication: 19th July
My rating: 4 out of 5

She's writing about him. he's writing about her. And everybody is reading between the lines..

For Erin Blackwell, majoring in creative writing at the New York City college of her dreams is more than a chance to fulfill her ambitions--it's her ticket away from the tragic memories that shadow her family's racehorse farm in Kentucky. But when she refuses to major in business and take over the farm herself someday, her grandmother gives Erin's college tuition and promised inheritance to their maddeningly handsome stable boy, Hunter Allen. Now Erin has to win an internship and work late nights at a coffee shop to make her own dreams a reality. She should despise Hunter . . . so why does he sneak into her thoughts as the hero of her latest writing assignment?
Then, on the day she's sharing that assignment with her class, Hunter walks in. He's joining her class. And after he reads about himself in her story, her private fantasies about him must be painfully clear. She only hopes to persuade him not to reveal her secret to everyone else. But Hunter devises his own creative revenge, writing sexy stories that drive the whole class wild with curiosity and fill Erin's heart with longing. Now she's not just imagining what might have been. She's writing a whole new ending for her romance with Hunter . . . except this story could come true.

I really enjoy Jennifer Echols style of writing, it just draws me in every time and it's not too taxing on the old brain. I laugh and then I swoon a bit, she's just the perfect summer read for me so when I saw this on Simon & Schuster's galley grab I grabbed it right away.

Erin is the wealthy grandaughter who has cut herself off from her mega rich grandmother to follow her dream of being a writer in New York. Her mean old granny has given Erin's inheritance which includes a race horse farm to Hunter the stable boy. Erin is now struggling at college in New York working in coffee shops pretending she is just a normal student and working hard in her creative writing class in the hope of getting an internship. She decides to write an old fashioned steamy hot story about the stable boy but guess who turns up in creative writing class? Yes, Hunter the stable boy who happens to be very yummy indeed. He is now attending the same college, using Erin's college fund granny has given him, and now lives in the same dorm.

My favourite parts in the book centred around the creative writing class. I loved the stories Hunter and Erin wrote to each other in retaliation each week which included some not-so-very-coded messages about their troubled shared history back at the racehorse farm. The hilarious critique from the classmates after the stories made me laugh out loud and I enjoyed the turn around of rich girl Erin surviving on peanut butter crackers and living in a tiny room whereas stable boy Hunter now has the fancy watch and clothes. One random bizarre thing that really struck me and made me laugh, was that one of Erin's college classes is belly dancing! Honestly, belly dancing at college! I wish I had went to university in New York instead of the UK I had to study bloody Economics and Interwar European Fascism, belly dancing would have been way cooler and probably more useful. 

The ending was a bit strange. I think the old romantic in me always wants that confirmed happy ever after, and especially after all the drama and manipulation from both Erin and Hunter I though they both deserved a happy ending but the ending was very abrupt. Overall, I enjoyed Love Story it had a well paced plot which forced me to read it in one sitting and I laughed out loud loads which is always a good sign. Thanks to Simon & Schuster galley grab for letting me read Love Story before it's release on the 19th of July.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a nice, light read, perfect for summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you enjoyed Love Story. This was my favorite Jennifer Echols book! You are right though, the ending was very abrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read and I have to say lately I have been a fan of the not so happy endings! (not that I don't love a good happily ever after, but I think its a nice change to get something else once in a while). Great review, I know that I will be checking this one out when it is released!

    If you have time I'd love for you to come over to Hands and Home to check out my giveaway for a copy of Bridesmaid Lotto by Rachel Astor!
    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.