Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Review - Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Some Girls Are
Courtney Summers
St Martin's Griffin
Publication date: 5th Jan 2010
My rating: 4.5 out of 5

Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion.

Terrifying that's how I would sum up this book. Perhaps my idea of American High School had been slightly warped by watching High School Musical hundreds of times (with my daughter I hasten to add) but honestly if High School is anything like that I wouldn't want my daughter going there. That said, it was a fantastic book if a bit high on the shock factor. On one hand, I think I would want my 12 year old daughter to read Some Girls Are so that she can see what is potentially out there, however on the other hand, it may just actually terrify the life out of her.

The story of a bully who becomes a victim of bullying, Regina isn't exactly a nice warm and fuzzy like able character a reader could warm too. She has tormented other girls and stood back and watched as other girls in the clique have brought a girl to the brink of suicide. Regina finds herself frozen out and finds herself on the receiving end of some horrific bullying. I enjoyed the fact that Regina didn't back down to her ex-friends the bullies but at one point I genuinely thought they were going to end up killing each other. The tit for tat behaviour just escalated and escalated until I was literally at the edge of my seat. Some Girls Are was so readable and addictive I ended up thoroughly engrossed and stayed up to 1 am to finish it. Well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.