Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Double review- Shade and Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready


Shade
Jeri Smith-Ready
My rating: 5 out of 5

Sixteen years ago the Shift occurred and every child born since can hear and see ghosts. Aura is a post shifter, in fact she is the first post shifter born so when her boyfriend Logan dies suddenly he hasn't gone completely from her life which is both comforting and agonizingly confusing for Aura as she copes with her grief. Aura starts to develop feelings for Zachary the hot Scot who happens to be the last pre-shifter born only a minute before Aura. They work together investigating the mystery of what caused the Shift before the authorities (who know she is the first and he is the last) can stop them and force them apart.

I immediately aligned myself to team Zach in the Aura love triangle (he's a Glaswegian of course I'm going to be on his side) he's patient with Aura who doesn't really know which way to turn. I found myself completely intrigued by the mystery of the Shift and Zach and Aura's place in this mystery and I ended up at the edge of my seat (well bed actually it was 1 AM- I couldn't stop until I had finished) with the giant cliffhanger at the end.


Jeri Smith- Ready
My Rating 5 out of 5

So after reading until 1AM I started Shift the next day (thank goodness I wasn't going to work). Logan is still a ghost in the second installment and for a few short minutes he mysteriously becomes solid and human like again which results in Aura very nearly having sex with him despite her feelings for Zach. Whilst Logan makes plans for what he will do the next time he becomes solid again Aura and Zach have to work together to figure out why this happened, they also learn more about the Shift and about Aura's mother and the mystery of who her father is.

I found myself loving Zach even more in Shift, his on/off relationship with Aura really comes to ahead and Aura finally decides who she wants. The events at the prom (Zach wore a kilt it was very exciting) had me reading even faster. Jeri Smith-Ready has Zach's Glaswegian phraseology completely spot on (there's a huge difference between a Glasgow accent and a Highland accent). I laughed out loud when Logan, in an attempt to find out if her can trust Zach, asks him what football team he supports. That's the very question any Glaswegian would ask and Zach's answer was hilarious.

Overall, I love the combination of romance, suspense and mystery this series has to offer, the hot Scot of course makes it that little bit more special in my eyes. I picked up Shade and Shift after seeing all the #Team Kilt tweets and posts as part of the YA Crush Tournament on YA- Sisterhood and I am so glad I did. Roll on 2012 for the final part of the trilogy Shine which Jeri Smith-Ready tells me ends in Glasgow, so it will be brilliant then obviously! 

8 comments:

  1. seeing those 5 out 5 ratings just kill me. I really want to read these books now. Thanks for mentioning about the cliffhanger in book one. I need to make sure I got both books before reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really glad I had the second book ready to read. I love cliffhangers but I hate patiently waiting for the next book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been very nervous about reading these as the love triangle sounds very dramatic and cliche, but you totally bought me. Great review!

    Must. Get. Hands. On. These. Books!

    Also, your review layout looks absolutely gorrgeous here. Have you changed it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Shade last year and loved it as well. I pre-ordered Shift and wanted to read it as soon I got it last month but other books keep cropping up and I figure I've waited a year what's a couple more weeks. Think I've done myself wrong after reading your review. :) However, I can't stop reading Vampire Academy at the moment to pick up Shift so it will still have to wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review(s). :) I really enjoyed Shade and right now I'm realizing that I definitely should get a copy of Shift to read soon. :D

    Thanks for sharing.
    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love a love triangle! And a hot Scot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jade- yes I changed some layout stuff it took me AGES. Glad you like it:)

    Mel- I was the same Shade was sitting on my shelf for ages before I picked it up. I'm so glad I did.

    Carina- Definetly buy Shift. It's soo worth it.

    C.J- Yeah I thought you would like a hot Scot;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great reports on these books, I have heard great things about them and I cant wait to get my hands on a copy! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.