Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Review- Deception by Lee Nichols

Deception (Haunting Emma #1)
Lee Nichols
Publication date: 5th September (UK)
Bloomsbury
My rating: 4 out of 5


When Emma Vaile’s parents go missing while away on a mysterious business trip, she’s left all alone in her creepy old house. But her brother’s very cute best friend, Bennett Stern—Emma’s knight in J. Crew armor—arrives unexpectedly to whisk her away to New England. There, Emma settles into his family’s museum-like mansion and enrolls at an old-fashioned private school. She quickly finds friends in the popular legacy crowd at Thatcher and spends her free time crushing on Bennett. But the eerie visions she’s been hiding from everyone have gotten worse. Emma has memories of Thatcher that she can’t explain—it’s as if she’s returning home to a place she’s never been. Finally, Emma confides in Bennett and learns she is a ghostkeeper, a person who can communicate with ghosts. Bennett brought Emma to Thatcher to protect her, but now he needs her help tracking an other-worldly murderer.

Emma's parents have been missing for 6 weeks and she finds herself home alone in a creepy house full of spooky antiquities that her parents buy and sell. Emma finds herself haunted by visions that had previously troubled her at the age of seven and resulted in her spending time in an institution.

Emma is rescued by Bennett a friend of Emma's older brother (who she has a bit of a crush on) who claims to be her guardian and whisks her off to his museum home in Massachusetts and enrolls Emma in Thatcher Academy which seems alarmingly familiar to Emma despite never having been there before.

Immediately overcome by haunting visions in which she is transported back in time, Emma learns that like her ancestor Emma Vaile she can see ghosts and is a very powerful ghost keeper just coming into her powers.

My favorite parts of Deception centred on the museum they lived in, unlike other ghost keepers Emma is actually quite nice to ghosts and befriends the ghostly help in the museum and then discovers that she can actually hear the ghosts speaking and can therefore listen to their stories and histories, a power that is very rarely seen in ghost keepers. I couldn't help but like Emma she has been completely kept in the dark by her family and friends (who all seems to be ghost keepers) and has really been abandoned by them. I also really adored the little love triangle between Emma, Bennett and the gorgeous popular kid at school Cody.

I'm hoping the sequel Betrayal tells me more about the mystery of Emma's missing parents, more about her growing very unique powers and the brilliant cliffhanger at the end of Deception certainly suggests the sequel will be equally as fantastic. Overall, Deception is a great, fast paced and imaginative ghost story and is well worth a read, I can't wait to dive into the sequel.

Thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me a copy of Deception in exchange for an honest review.

10 comments:

  1. Great review Lesley. I'm about half way through at the moment and its really good :) Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first review I've read of this book, so thank you! I've been curious about it.
    It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is new to me. Great review. I want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard amazing things about this book! Can't wait to read it, thanks for the review

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been really curious about this book since I saw it and now I think I want a copy to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this serie but it sounds great. I know this author by others books but maybe i will read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agreed with like, everything here! My review is going live tonight :) I can't wait to get into Betrayal now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. all these great reviews for this book are making me want to grab my copy and read it right now! I cant though... I'm half way through another book! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds great. Though, I have to admit to not being a big fan of cliffhangers. Hope you get the answers you were looking for soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this blog, the feel, and the posts. Do pay me a visit, (my blog i mean lol) when you are chanced.... I am an author, and i would love to be interviewed on your blog, and maybe do a guest post... http://theseven-piecestone.blogspot.com
    now following you

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.