Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Review - Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch Of Frost
Jennifer Estep
Kensington Publishing Corporation
Publication date: 26th July
My rating: 5 out of 5

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.
But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

Jennifer Estep is on my auto buy list I adore her Elemental Assassin series so I couldn't wait to read her new YA series. I absolutely LOVED it and I'm still thinking about it a few days later.

After losing her mum in a car accident Gwen is sent off to Mythos Academy a boarding school for descendants of mythological warriors such as Spartans, Vikings, Valkyries and Amazons who are pretty much all rich, gorgeous and strong warrior types. Gwen who is from a long line of Gypsies has no idea why she's been sent to Mythos and sticks out like a sore thumb especially in gym class where they fight with swords rather than playing volleyball like normal kids. Gwen however, does have a special talent called psychometry which is the ability to touch things and see visions relating to who touched the item last which comes in handy in Mythos finding lost mobiles and underwear.

When the most popular girl in school a Valkyrie is murdered in the school library the other students who are used to death and casualties of war barely mourn the girl but Gwen is determined to investigate further and along the way begins to realise the stories she hears in mythological history about the epic battle between Loki the God of Mischief and his followers the evil Reapers and the good guys in the Pantheon are actually true and very much a part of her fellow students and teachers lives. Gwen also starts to discover more about her unusual Gypsy background.

I completely adored Gwen to bits. She's very much alone and different- she reads comics books and wears hoodies and is also still mourning the loss of her mum so pretty much keeps herself to herself. I also loved the very yummy Spartan Logan "freaking Quinn" who allegedly signs the mattresses of all the girls at school he has slept with. He runs hot and cold with Gwen and has that bad boy knight in shining armour vibe about him that I am a complete sucker for. Oh, and he has a SECRET which I am desperate to find out more about.

With a fantastic mixture of modern day and mythology, fight scenes (I love a good battle) and a hint of romance Touch of Frost completely blew me away. So much so that I am counting down the days until the next installment Kiss of Frost which is due out at the end of November.

8 comments:

  1. I just read "First Frost" the introduction to this series and I liked it. Great review! Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to start reading this author!!

    Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really fancy this book and your review has made me want it even more, thanks!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this and hope to read it soon :) One of the few YA I am looking forward too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read this author but this sounds like the beginning of a series that I could really get into! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get this book! It looks so good - and as you say our tastes are so similar I'm sure I'll love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower passing through found you on RAK. I love this cover its on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I soooo need to read this series!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.