Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Waterfall Wednesday read-along


Waterfall Wednesdays is hosted by Tina's Book Reviews, The Unread Reader, Edgy Inspirational Romance, Supernatural Snark and Irresistible Reads. It's a read-along of Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergan, each week we will reading chapters, swooning and discussing the book.

So the questions for this week have been set by Tina:

Discussion Questions for Chapters 1-6

1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?

I have to admit I just intended to read the first 6 chapters as required however, I ended up completely engrossed and loved it so much I read the full book in 2 days, I couldn't hold back. I thought Gabi seemed like the typical grumpy teenager being hauled by her super focused mum to rural Italy where there would be no Internet, no hot boys and only tombs for company. I felt quite sorry for Gabi, her mum in dad were obviously very in love and shared a common goal to find the lost city of the Etruscans probably to the exclusion of Gabi and her sister Lia.

2. Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could?
I would love the opportunity to travel back in time and be all knowing like in Hot Tub Time Machine! I've read quite a few books on the Tudor times so I would love to actually see for myself the political intrigue of court life, I have also done quite a lot of research into my family tree (I actually have a degree in history) so would love the opportunity to go back in time to see the ancestors I know a lot about on paper but to see more about how and where they lived and worked.

3. Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of men's mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?
I don't consider the men's behaviours and opinions to be chauvinistic, not really, it's a different time and they didn't know any better. I can  understand Gabi's frustrations and I think she does exceptionally well adapting and dealing with the changes and remembering what would not be acceptable. I can understand why Marcello is therefore completely entranced by her as she seems more independent and forth right. I actually quite like the gentlemanly behaviour if I'm honest, there is something really quite dashing and swoon worthy about it!
 
4. When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you?
It's not fair but it is understandable, people are often suspicious of someone or something that seems just that little bit different. Although I'm sure there are times where I have felt like an outsider it's not something that would affect me long term- life is too short and you can't expect everyone to like you.

5. What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst?
This is a very superficial answer but I would love to try the gorgeous dresses that the wealthy society women wore. I would not be so keen on the whole chamber pot business ewwwww, and the lack of showers and modern day medicine would fill me with dread, the very thought of dying from asthma or a simple wound is quite scary.

I really can't wait to see everyone's answers- head over to Tina's Book Reviews 
to see who else is participating

15 comments:

  1. Yes! So with you on the dresses. I love their clothes. But yah the no shower or toilets or toothpaste would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answer to #3. Very good!

    No Juju, it would STINK to not have those things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked Tudor England too. I think a scandalous life a court would be fun...as long as I was rich and not a servant. Then I don't think it would be as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only thing good about it would be the clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't hold back either and sped through the series.

    I haven't watch Hot Tub Time Machine yet. Is it funny? The Tudor times would have been cool, but also I know I'd be caught doing something bad and get my head chopped off. That wouldn't be fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you liked enough that you read it in two days:) I didn't stop at just six chapters either, I had to know what happened! I would love to wear those beautiful dresses too, though only for a short period of time because I'm sure they're crazy heavy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would definitely be very cool to be able to meet ones ancestors!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was really hard to stop reading. I am so glad to have the next set if questions. I do think Marcello's behavior is swoon worthy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your right we are all on the same page when it comes to the personal clean issues....

    Glad you joined us this week...wait until you get through the whole series...its awesome...!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit that trying on all the awesoem clothes and jewlery of the time would be quite awesome.
    Great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, that chamber pot biz. It's bad enough to have to use one, but to accept that someone else has the job of cleaning it?

    Good heavens, I love flush toilets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That would be kind of interesting to go back and see what your ancestors were like...and yay for the gorgeous dresses answer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for taking part in WW! I'm glad you COULDN'T stop after 6 chapters. I think that would be the hardest part of this concept! Feel free to breeze thru the pages for upcoming weeks as a refresher.

    And I think the Tudor era would be cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did the same exact thing! No way could I only read six chapters! I have to go buy the next two books because I have to see what happens! I have a feeling I'll read this series over and over!

    Heather

    See ya next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've read the entire book already?! Jealous! That's what I've been wanting to do but I've been forcing myself to stay within the allotted weekly chapters. Anyways, love your answers!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.