Tuesday, 20 September 2011

My book boyfriend # 19

My book boyfriend is hosted by Missie over at The Unread Reader. Every week I drool over a fictional male character and rack my brains to think of what yummy person I will use in pictures to make everyone else drool too.
This week's book boyfriend is Sam from Holly Goldberg Sloan's I'll Be There.

Important Sam facts

- His father is a crazy thief and has not allowed his 2 sons to attend school.
-Sam and his brother Riddle are forced to scavenge through bins to find food and earn a few dollars helping people offload their rubbish at the dump.
-They are forced to move by their father every few months and therefore have no friends.
-Sam protects his younger brother who has asthma and possible Autism.
-Sam meets and falls in love with Emily after she is forced to sing I'll Be There (badly) at her local church.
- Sam is a talented guitar player and Riddle can take mechanical items apart and draw their insides from memory.
- Sam and Riddle are helped by Emily's family but their father starts to hear voices again and forces the boys to leave town. Can Sam and Riddle ever escape their father and finally start a new life?



"This boy, or young man, really, was incredibly handsome. He had blue eyes, chiseled features, and, while thin, he had a strong physique. But he had none of the cockiness or body language to go with his exterior."





"Then Jared, who was staring intently looked up at Sam, said: "You're like the Dark Knight."
Ordinarily that kind of comment would have made everyone laugh, but no one did.
Jared seemed to have hit on something. It wasn't just that Sam looked like he could have been in the pages of a fashion magazine, it was that there was something about him that said he was living a double life or that he was in conflict, even pain."




Sam had no idea what the next step should be.
He was filled with confusion and, now, standing on the edge of her herringbone-brick driveway, what he wanted, more than anything, was to get away. To escape. To make all of the emotion he was feeling simply stop.
He then reached down and took her hand and brushed it up against his lips, and he lightly kissed the insides of her palm. He then whispered:
"I will always remember walking with you tonight...."
He then let her hand go and turned away and she watched, immobilized, as he headed down the sidewalk, around the corner, and disappeared into the night air."
The very crush worthy Alex Pettyfer is perfect for the role of Sam, I think it's the hair that does it for me. Delightful.

11 comments:

  1. I've been scrolling down on Google Reader trying to find this post! I was like, "Ah! I have to read about the guy in that book!" I have I'll Be There and I want to read it soon. I'll go read the quotes now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I'm intrigued Lesley. May just have to add this book!
    Awesome pick. Mine will be up tomorrow.

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already really wanted to read this book but now I want to even more! Alex Pettyfer is gorgeous, as always. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is it about Alex Pettyfer that makes him so mold-able? Seriously, he is can play almost every book character with blond hair I've ever read about. So HAWT!

    LOL

    I heard amazing things about this book. I think the only reason why I haven't picked it up is because the cover. It doesn't seem right. But Sam sounds amazing. His life is so hard, but he still makes the most of it.

    Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love Alex..even with his cheesy acting...:D

    I picked his face for Luca in Waterfall....lol....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care that he is not the world's best actor he sure is HOT and he sounds absolutely perfect for Sam.

    This story sounds heartbreaking...I hope there is a happy ending at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first pic! He looks so sweet and cute!

    I feel bad for Sam :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think Alex Pettyfer is such a hottie! Yummy! Love that dark night quote! Great choice all around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alex Pettyfer! He's completely 100% sexy! And that book sounds interesting - I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I really liked I'll Be There. Sam was such a sweetie. Not sure who i pictured him as though. Alex Pettyfer has the looks though, definitely!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  11. *big sigh* That last quote was freaking amazing. I have never heard of this book, but I definitely need to buy it, NOW! :D Loved the quotes you chose, I really need to read about Sam. He sounds so amazing. Plus, Alex Pettyfer...if Sam is that gorgeous, he's a must!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.