Thursday, 22 September 2011

Review- Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley


Graffiti Moon
Cath Crowley
Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication date: 14th February 2012
My rating: 5 out of 5

Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

Graffiti Moon is so beautifully written it should be savoured, I however raced through it because I was desperate to know what was going to happen in the end. I am determined to buy a copy when it's released on February 14th as it's an absolute keeper, and the kind of book that reminds you why you love reading in the first place.

For me, Graffiti Moon is all about Ed (Shadow). He's that underdog kind of kid that I always fall in love with- the one who has had a tough upbringing struggling to make ends meet, the kid that has to leave school early as he struggles with reading and writing but teachers haven't even noticed or helped him (apart from one lovely art teacher) he finds a job and in that finds a much loved father figure, that one person who believes in him and his amazing artistic talent but he tragically loses that father figure and as a result loses his way in life. I always and I mean always fall for that type of character who just needs a break. I want to swoop in, give Ed a hug, give him a nice place to stay and assure him he is a worthwhile talented individual and that life won't always be that hard.

I loved gutsy little Lucy and her nose breaking skills. I loved that she was so obsessed with Shadow that she didn't realise she was looking for Shadow with Shadow and as she slowly started to see Ed for his true worth it gave the me the overall book warm and fuzzies.

Like my other favourite Aussie book Saving Francesca the secondary characters are also completely lovable. Ed's single parent mum tries so hard to brighten up their crappy threadbare home and provides a place for Leo to crash when his home life becomes completely unbearable. Equally, Bert Ed's boss/father figure made my heart ache- it was just the quiet and understated support, just being that person Ed could talk to when he needed who just got him.

Graffiti Moon is absolutely gush worthy, it's a masterpiece and if I could give it a squillion stars I would. Thanks to Net galley for the opportunity to read it before it's release on the 14th of February. Valentine's day present anyone?

8 comments:

  1. I sooooo LOVED this book! It's one of my absolute favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds awesome! I can't believe I use to fear running out of books to read. IMPOSSIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ashley - I think it's one of my new favs now too.

    @ C.J.- I know, now I just moan about not having enough time to read all of the A-MAZING books out there:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one too and I can't wait to read it! I can't wait to gush! (gush worthy... my new fave pair of words!)

    Besides art???? I'm so reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could totally take this as a Valentine's days present :D Guess I need to add this to my TBR-list, too. There's only million books allready..

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i am SO glad you loved this <3

    awesome review and bonus points for the saving francesca shout out ;)

    x nomes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you like this one too. I love this book and Cath Crowley definitely added to my list of authors to stalk. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want this book, is in my TBR list since January. I´m glad you like it and I keep reading great review about it yours included, so I need to buy it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.