Thursday, 8 September 2011

Review- Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar


Raw Blue
Kirsty Eagar
Penguin Books Australia
Publication date: 29th June 2009
My rating: 5 (and then some) out of 5

Carly has dropped out of uni to spend her days surfing and her nights working as a cook in a Manly café. Surfing is the one thing she loves doing ... and the only thing that helps her stop thinking about what happened two years ago. Then she meets Ryan and Carly has to decide ... Will she let the past bury her? Or can she let go of her anger and shame, and find the courage to be happy?


I could easily spend the rest of the year reading Aussie YA and be blissfully happy. It's only really been through stalking my favourite Aussie blogs over the last few months that I actually realised there was a whole freaking awesome world of Aussie YA out there. The few Aussie books that I've read so far by Cath Crowley and Melina Marchetta have been complete gems and I have now have a specific Aussie to be read list which is pretty much as long as my arm.

Despite having about 10 other reviews to write I really wanted to review Raw Blue sharpish, I just want to shout out from every available rooftop how A-mazing and touching and gut wrenchingly heart breaking this book really is, so much so that days later I can't get Carly's story out of my head.

A horrific incident in Carly's past haunts her, the shame and guilt she feels results in her isolating herself entirely from everyone, working nights in a cafe to avoid having to face people and pretty much withdrawing from life itself. Her only salvation seems to be surfing and her love for the ocean shines throughout the book. I desperately, and I mean desperately wanted Carly to find someone, anyone, to talk to that would be able to help her. I was so engrossed in her story I had a constant lump in my throat and ache in my chest throughout the entire book. And Ryan, mate what can I say? initially I thought he was a bit of a drongo (see I'm even picking up the lingo and everything) but he soooo grew on me. What I loved the most about Ryan was that he never gave up on Carly despite her pushing him away. His phone messages and tattoo idea had me weeping buckets and swooning simultaneously.

Raw Blue didn't feel like a difficult read to me despite the subject matter. It was definitely intense and emotional but it's also very real and just a really heartachingly powerful story. At the end of it I was ultimately hopeful for both Carly and Ryan as in my head they both deserve a happy ending.

Raw Blue is impossible to get in paperback in the UK, firstly THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE but if anyone in the UK wants to borrow my copy please give me a shout. I genuinely want everyone to read it. You can however buy an ebook copy here (trust me it's worth every penny).

Again I would like to say a huge thanks to my Aussie pal C.J Duggan who sent Raw Blue all the way from Australia to Scotland as she knew how much I wanted to read it. Cheers Mate!

11 comments:

  1. Oh I am so happy you loved it!! And what a glowing review, Woo-hoo for Aussie YA!
    RAW Blue looked amazing and I have really been looking forward to your thoughts. Remember if you need a Aussie hit just let me know. I am your dealer!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so dying to read this!!! You can;t get it all in the US!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY DANCE!!!! I am totally shouting this out when I announce the winners tomorrow! Looks like I'll have to edit my Case for Carly button so it includes the U.K.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to get this book! I'm saving your review to read later when I can concentrate!







    - MARY [ ANXIRIUM | GIVEAWAY ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing review! I am so happy that you loved it. It is one of my all time favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have got to stop reading reviews of this (and other Aussie books), I've been dying to read it for ages and the reviews just add to that. :P

    I wish there was like, an Australian version of The Book Depository or Australian amazon - all the other sites have insane shipping costs (I'm in Scotland too). :(

    -Lanna/Bloggers[heart]Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I love when you get a book that just reminds you about why you LOVE reading so much.

    Fantastic review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great review! I got loaned a copy and I absolutely loved it! I mean it's weird to say about a book about what it's about, but it was phenomenal. It didn't make Carly seem weak or scared, it just showed her going through the motions. I so loved this book. Linds at Bibliophile Brouhaha loaned it to me and I miss it already. But at least we got to read it right?

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm eyeing to read this one and I'm loving Aussie authors lately. After reading Graffiti Moon & Saving June I want to read all Aussie contemporary books out there. And this one is in my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. gorgeous review <3

    i love this book too. insanely so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review! I have heard great things abuot this book so I'm off to look into that epub! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.