Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Waterfall Wednesday Read-Along


Waterfall Wednesdays is hosted by Tina's Book Reviews, The Unread Reader, Edgy Inspirational Romance, Supernatural Snark and Irresistible Reads. It's a read-along of Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergan, each week we will reading chapters, swooning and discussing the book.

So the questions for this week have been set by Joy and Serena at Edgy Inspirational Romance

Discussion Questions for Chapters 12-17
1. In Siena, on her way to the ball at Palazzo Pubblico, Gabi likened her experience to being on the red carpet at the Academy Awards, the goal being "to see and be seen." If you were a peasant, watching from the crowd, what would you be thinking as this procession passed by?
Probably something along the lines of  "Mayhap that kind gentlewoman will spare me some change to feed my 47 peasant children, we are ever so hungry and those jewels, dresses and delicate slippers could feed me and my family of 47ish for a year"
As you can see I was completely in character there with the use of the word "mayhap" impressive or what?

2. Though quite nervous about dancing at the ball, Gabi discovers a strange feeling of connection to the time, the people, and the society through the unified beauty of the dance. Have you ever been in a position where you felt out of your element, but, in one, pinpointed moment, became a part of or connected to something bigger than your fear?
At work I sometimes get called on to do presentations to other organisations and passing political dignitaries, but this is not my natural habitat I much prefer working with normal people and hate that whole stand up an do a speech stuff. Recently I had to do a presentation along with members of staff from another organisation that I had worked with, they had all been coached on standing up like a weather girl despite the fact we were all sitting at a round table. I of course come in late, I've been told "officially" about the necessity to stand like a weather girl and point to power point slides but despite my fear I just thought sod this I'm doing it my way. I want to sit down like a newsreader, I don't want to be a stand up weather girl, I'm more comfortable this way and I get to wave my hands about without fear of dropping my notes or taking someones eye out. So I did. And I felt great and I did not give two hoots for the boss at the back glaring at me I did what was best for me at that time.

3. The kiss. Oh, the kiss. When Marcello finally kisses Gabi, he believes the experience to be proof that they are meant to be together. What did you think about his assumption? Were you surprised at Gabi's reaction to it? Have you ever experienced a kiss that seemed to be prophetic in a similar (or opposite!) way?
I thought it was very romantic in an old fashioned kind of way, slightly cave mannish if I'm honest but it's kind of what I would expect from Marcello. That's why I like him. If I had faced that kind of reaction in real life (thankfully I haven't) I would have probably done a runner myself but it's ok to like this kind of behaviour in books!

4. Many go through their teen years with a subdued sense of immortality. Do you think Gabi has a sense of this teen feeling? And did you think Gabi's converse observation, "Sometimes death came hunting and there was no way to cut it off at the pass." was informed more by the experience of losing her father, her self-admitted closet hypochondria, or the forced maturation of being transported to a different time? How does this observation show Gabi's growth as a character?
I think Gabi is the way she is due to the loss of her father, however, it wasn't something I really picked up on whilst reading the book.


5. In the span of a few moments, Gabi goes from sword-wielding teen beauty to man-killing warrior. Did you think her realization of the finality of death -- and her justification for its necessity -- was realistic? And, in her slippers, could you have done the same?
I think that fight to the death, I will do anything to survive type of feeling kicked in. I'm not sure slippers are the appropriate footwear for such a moment really. I'm not sure I could be a man-killing warrior in my fluffy slippers. Firstly I would be laughed out of town because they are pink and fluffy and have a weird pom pom thing on them which sort of makes me look like an oompa loompa (don't judge me I didn't pick them) and they also have a tendency to fall off when I go up and down stairs so would be highly impractical in a life or death situation.

Enough talk about my slippers head over to Edgy Inspirational Romance to see who else is participating this week.

13 comments:

  1. Mayhap you could be a pink pom pom slipper wearing killing machine. Cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I totally said I'd run too if someone kissed me for the first time and then declared their love.

    As for the slippers I think you could kick some serious butt in those. They would be the perfect distraction because your opponents would be wondering how the heck you're going to fight in them and as they are still wondering you could go in for the kill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love your answer to #1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your answers were hysterical I love the whole medieval tone you put forth...:)

    Im so with you on the slippers..I would die- fall off the mountain and be squished flat from not having the appropriate foot attire....I mean come on give the ladys some leather boots or something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so picturing you mountain climbing in Oompa loompa slippers with pom poms!!! Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when they say "mayhap" I laugh almost every single time!

    Slippers are horrible for everything! They never want to stay on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answers- so funny! I really want to see your pink pom-pom slippers! Mayhap not very practical for sword fighting in though.
    Also, good for you, doing the presentation your way- bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blahahaha! 47 kiddies? Yikes. Now I'm thinking someone needs to invent birth control. LOL

    Marcello can give me a cave manish kiss anytime.

    Your answers are so entertaining this week. Thanks for sharing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh, I have also taken to using the word "mayhap".

    Yup, I would've run the other way too if something like that had happened to me in our modern day setting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Major bonus points for weaving in "mayhap." But for Americans like me, "whilst" counts as a bonus point word too. Now if you had managed a "nay," we'd be talking special-prize...

    Thanks SO much for taking part in WW! And for reading Waterfall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whilst you didn't get the extra point, mayhap next week you can use both these words nay all three words and you will get those extra points!
    (Not sure what the points are for?)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Whereforeart is thou curvy aisled, hot pink shelved book repository (appearing in your header)???? I must place myself therein with due haste! Methinks this looks like book girl Nirvana -- Nay, more than but a dream!

    (couldn't help myself.)

    Love your blog and answers!
    ~Serena

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.