Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Mini review: Firelight and Vanish by Sophie Jordon

Firelight
Firelight #1
Sophie Jordon
My rating: 4 out of 5


So, Firelight has been on my kindle since the dawn of time but I had never really paid much attention the blurb, I was however aware that everyone and their granny who has read it seemed to love it so I thought it was about time I give it a go. As usual I ended up completely engrossed and thoroughly enjoyed it as it's about dragons (known as draki) and I LOVE DRAGONS, why did I not read the blurb and realise this sooner???

Anyway, the story was fast paced and entertaining, with shape shifting draki galore, some fantastically evil baddies who hunt the draki, an exquisitely good love triangle between Jacinda the fire breathing draki, her destined draki mate to be Cassian and Will *le sigh* the hunter with a conscious who is just that little bit different. I also loved the undercurrent of sisterly love and rivalry with Jacinda's sister Tamara who has never manifested into a draki and has been left on the sidelines. The pride scared the life out of me as did the hunters both had a really frighteningly cult like feel which made me love Jacinda, Will and Cassian even more. I know I shouldn't like Cassian as he's part of the pride but I really do, I want him to turn out to be a good guy though!


Vanish
(Firelight #2)
Sophie Jordon
My rating: 4 out of 5

I'm so glad I read Firelight and Vanish back to back. I have to admit I changed my mind about the main characters whilst reading Vanish, previously I adored Will but had a secret soft spot for Cassian however, Cassian really came to the forefront in Vanish and although I didn't exactly dislike Will I just wanted Jacinda to pick Cassian instead, he really does care for her and does everything he can to protect her (even if it does mean a little draki bonding against Jacinda's will) so I've firmly shifted my allegiances to Team Cassian.

I liked that Tamara had a bigger role in Vanish, she has finally manifested and is now equally a big prize commodity to the pride and although she always hated being overlooked she managed to deal with her new elevated status with dignity and was still there for Jacinda.
The hunters and pride still scared the life out of me, the brutality the pride showed towards Jacinda was shocking and made me love Cassian even more as he steps in to protect her. With the killer cliff hanger ending I suspect the hunters will feature more prominently in the third installment and I expect the story to be even darker in tone.

Thanks to Harper Teen and Net galley for letting me read Vanish I cannot wait for the next installment.

8 comments:

  1. Love both of these books. One of my fave series, so glad you enjoyed them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Team Cassian too! I haven't read Vanish yet thought...after your review I think I should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Firelight as it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this series. I need to read it !!!! Thanks for the reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOO! GO TEAM WILL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Firelight and really enjoyed the story. I was excited to jump back into Jacinda's life. Firelight left off with Jacinda showing her Draki form to hunters in an attempt to save Will, the human that she loves. Cassian, the prince of their pride, who is also Jacinda's betrothed, comes to take Jacinda, her mother and sister back to their pride. Which... is where Vanish starts off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review I love it when we get to see a little more about the characters in later books and maybe even change our minds about them(:

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.