Thursday, 20 October 2011

Review: The Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

The Carrier of the Mark
Leigh Fallon
Harper Teen
Publication date: 4th October 2011
My rating: 3 out of 5

Their love was meant to be.
When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRís.
But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

I thought The Carrier of the Mark was okish, it was very readable, and kept my attention but just didn't really wow me. I'm not sure if I have just over loaded on those kind of "we are fated to be together" type love stories in recent months, but I found their instant love a bit rushed, and lacking in swoon worthy chemistry. I didn't really fall in love with Adam or Megan as characters, I usually drool over the male lead and cheer for the female lead but I didn't feel strongly about either of them really.

On the positive side I did enjoy the Irish setting which was pleasantly different, I also enjoyed the mythology and interesting superpowers the DeRis family have, I thought there was loads of potential there for the other members of the family to get their own books. Would I go out an buy them? Hmmmm that would be a maybe, I want more romance and chemistry in the next book.

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh You have done some house keeping on your blog I see. Me likey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this in the post today so feeling slightly disheartened, but I'll try to go in with an open mind. thanks for your thoughts

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten bored of the insta-love as well - part of me feels like you need to work at love for it to be real...but perhaps thats just my personal experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While reading this I was unsure at times whether I liked it or not. It was a little bit clichéd (instant love etc.), but towards the end I could really get into it and started to love it. But I can understand everyone who says that they didn't love it. :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Carina

    P.s.: I like the layout change on the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's the Irish setting of this book that most appeals to me. Sorry to hear it was only OK.. I'm still eager to read it and see if I enjoy it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww you guys might like it, I just thought it was going to be a lot better.

    And Mel I totally agree you need to work at love for it to be real. Well said:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.