Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Review: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday


Deadly Cool
Gemma Halliday
Harper Teen
Publication date: 11th October
My rating: 4 out of 5

First I find out that my boyfriend is cheating on me. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And now he’s depending on me to clear his name. Seriously?
As much as I wouldn’t mind watching him squirm, I know that he’s innocent. So I’m brushing off my previously untapped detective skills and getting down to business. But I keep tripping over dead bodies and I’m still no closer to figuring out who did it. And what’s worse: all signs seem to point to me as the killer’s next victim.
I really need to pick a better boyfriend next time.

I thoroughly enjoyed Deadly Cool in all its Nancy Drew type glory it made me laugh, it kept me guessing and I swooned a great deal at the lovely Chase.

I loved the whole tongue in cheekness of the storyline, Courtney the president of the Chastity Club is found by Hartley dead in Hartley's boyfriend Josh's wardrobe (cause of death- strangulation by ipod earphones honestly) Unknown to Hartley, Josh has been having it off with the Chastity Club President and he is now the prime suspect in her murder. Hartley despite recognising that her Josh is a lying, cheating, scumbag sets out to find the real killer. It's all very Nancy Drew but hilariously updated, with references to dumping someone by twitter and knowing the police are following Hartley's every move she manages to keep in touch with Josh who is on the run via My Space because no one is on there anymore which makes it the perfect place to hide out.

Hartley and her best friend/ trusty sidekick Sam made me laugh out loud on numerous occassions, from their censored swearing "holy effing crap that sucks" to their getaway car powered by vegetable oil donated by the local burger joint. I also absolutely loved Chase the gorgeous brooding newspaper editor who dresses in black, wears guyliner and is hiding a six pack under his grungy t-shirts, as he manipulates his way into their investigation to get the full scoop his computer hacking and photography skills prove invaluable and he adds that little hint of will they/won't they type romance.

My absolute favourite scene involved Hartley hiding under Chase's bed after sneaking in to scan his bedroom for anything that screams "psycho killer" (she thinks he's the killer at one point) with Sam stationed outside as the lookout. Instead Hartley finds herself watching Chase almost strip off and finds out that he goes commando before coming out from under his bed with her eyes sort of covered. Sam's woeful attempts at making a bird call to alert Hartley to danger made me literally snort with laughter.

"Caw! Caw, Hartley Caw!"
Chase narrowed his eyes again "Sam?"
I nodded. Then crossed to the window again and called down to Sam.  "You can quit squawking. He caught me."
 "He's not murdering you are anything, is he?"

Deadly Cool is fast paced and hilariously quirky, if you like a snarky whodunit type mystery that doesn't take itself too seriously then this is the perfect book for you. I enjoyed every minute of it and cannot wait for the next installment Social Suicide which is due for release in 2012.

A giant thanks to the amazing Sara @ Just Another Story  who sent me Deadly Cool as part of The Fall Book Exchange. Thank you:)

6 comments:

  1. I ve been meaning to read this book one day, great review! Gorgeous cover too I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering why there are earphones on the cover :) Now I know! Sounds like a book I would really enjoy, great review, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally gonna buy this for my kindle now, because your review was so awesome!!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ kara-karina Believe it or not I didn't even notice the ear phones on the cover until I started reading it. How unobservant am I??

    @ Cait- buy it, it's totally funny and fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe- I love that quote- this sounds like such a funny book.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.