Sunday, 13 November 2011

Mini review: Immortal Beloved and Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan

Immortal Beloved
Immortal Beloved # 1
Cate Tiernan
Hodder & Stoughton
Publication date: 7th Sept 2010
My rating: 4.5 out of 5

Immortal Beloved kind of took me by surprise in a kind of it's YA but not as we know it way. It's a little bit different, slower in pace but the characters are so well developed and the story didn't turn out the way I thought it would, but I couldn't put it down.

Nastasya is a 459 year old immortal with a full blown party girl personality, she lives dangerously to excess with other like minded immortals but when a horrific incident with a taxi driver goes too far Nastasya for once stops to think about the consequences of her actions and those around her and decides she needs out.

She turns to River another ancient immortal who runs a retreat for similar immortals who want to escape the inherent darkness being an immortal seems to bring and find a better life through farming the land, meditation and self awareness. Despite being 459 Nastasya still acts and sounds like a teenage brat so hers is a very gradual change as she has to leave behind her designer clothes and spend her time digging up turnips.

Immortal Beloved looks to be the first book in an amazing trilogy, Nastasya has to take the time to face her past and her very interesting and important heritage to really understand herself. Her story unfolds through sometimes very painful and emotional flashbacks of the traumatic events of her childhood, her fears, guilt and her attempts to face up to the things she has done in her past are also very difficult.

Personally I loved the fact that she didn't just start eating the home grown turnips and meditate for five minutes and them become a better more enlightened person. It's a struggle, she's sarcastic and full of glorious self doubt which made me love her more.

One little thing, I kind of assumed there would be a big chase as her "old immortal friends" need her and plan to hunt her down so I was kind of surprised that didn't happen but it's there bubbling in the background as Nastasya is getting stronger. Thank goodness I have the sequel waiting for me I don't think I could wait a minute longer.

Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for sending me a copy for review. 


Immortal Beloved #2
Cate Tiernan
Hodder & Stoughton
Publication date: 2nd January 2012
My rating 4.5 out of 5

I started reading the sequel about 5 minutes after I finished Immortal Beloved, it's completely addictive and the story never seems to quite go the way I think it's heading, it really kept me on my toes.

It's New Year at River's Edge and despite Nastasya's resolution to trust more she continues to fight her feelings for the gorgeous Viking Reyn and desperately wants to cast off the darkness but seems rooted in her belief that she is not worth saving.

As things start to go wrong for Nastasya at River's Edge and her attempts at helping others fail epically she doubts her own self worth so much that when Incy shows up she willingly goes back with him to that dark party lifestyle. It's so thoroughly break your heart fantastic and made me want to shout out loud on numerous occassions. Incy is brilliantly manipulative and dangerously dark, he wants her power and is willing to do anything to get it. However, Nastasya is a different person, she's no longer taken in fully by the dark party lifestyle and yearns not only for her old life at River's Edge but also the hope of redemption, of being a better person but she just may not be strong enough to escape Incy's clutches.

I really was swept away by Darkness Falls, the tense build up had me gripping my book tighter and although Nastasya has loads of sarcastic and funny moments her overwhelming and crippling self doubt had me really rooting for her. I'm now beyond excited about what the final installment in the trilogy will bring (especially if there is going to be more Reyn in it *fans self*) You MUST read this!

Thanks again to Hodder & Stoughton for sending me a copy for review.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked your reviews! I felt the same way about Immortal Beloved. Cate Tiernan has this way of making incredible stories with the best characters. I can't wait to read Darkness Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks P.E, If you loved Immortal Beloved you will really love Darkness Falls it was just as amazing in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reviews!! I held off on my review of this book as publisher told me to for a bit, I read about 3 months ago. Looks like I have the go to release it now.

    I really enjoyed both these books in the series.

    MIchelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle, I loved them too, in fact I can't stop going on about them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a great series...I've been thinking about adding Immortal Beloved to my must buy list for a while but after reading your reviews it will definitely be going in my basket! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great reviews..i am picking these up for my nook 2day. new follower, found you on twitter through a fellow blogger.
    http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/
    @kimbacaffeinate

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.