Monday, 21 November 2011

Review: As I wake by Elizabeth Scott

As I Wake
Elizabeth Scott
Dutton Books
Publication date: 15th September 2011
My rating: 3 out of 5




Ava is welcomed home from the hospital by a doting mother, lively friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest. There's only one problem: Ava can't remember any of them - and can't shake the eerie feeling that she's not who they say she is.
Ava struggles to break through her amnesiac haze as she goes through the motions of high-school life, but the memories that surface take place in a very different world, where Ava and familiar-faced friends are under constant scrutiny and no one can be trusted. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions, or of the boy who is at the center of them all, until he reappears in her life and offers answers . . . but only in exchange for her trust

As I Wake is a very strange sort of book. Like the main character Ava I really struggled in the beginning to to work out what was going on so in that sense Elizabeth Scott did an amazing job of making Ava's confusion completely realistic. Despite being ultra confused I was gripped enough by the potential of the story to want to continue reading and figure it all out. If I'm honest, I'm not exactly sure if I did really get it though!

Ava wakes up in hospital confused with what seems like complete memory loss, she only vaguely recognises the woman who claims to be her mother and very slowly little pieces of information come back to her which suggest her life was completely different, as in parallel universe different, where she lived in a very dystopian state. Ava also has a vague memory of her school friends but from the parallel world where their characters were completely different. Ava starts to realise in this other world she lived frugally as a listener, and that she was responsible for listening and recording the every movement of a young man called Morgan who may or may not have posed a threat to the state.

As Ava starts to piece her memories including her connection to Morgan together she realises she is in real danger and that the nice parallel universe she has found herself in might actually be taken away from her but can she live without Morgan who doesn't belong to this universe?

Overall despite my confusion (which lasted right to the end!) there was something about As I Wake that made me want to finish it. Very strange and yet strangely readable.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, I think this book would have confused me too. But strange can be good, and oddly enough, that intrigues me.

    Can you believe I have yet to read a Scott book? I'll have to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Missie- I always wonder if it's just me being thick! I did enjoy it though and that's the main thing:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.