Monday, 7 November 2011

Review: Catching Jordon by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordon
Miranda Kenneally
Sourcebook Fire
Publication date: 1st Dec 2011
My rating:4 out of 5

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.


I have to say not actually knowing the first thing about American football (they wear those big shoulder pad things right?) didn't stop me enjoying Catching Jordon. Yes, there were times when the football terminology went a little bit over my head but the story wasn't really about American football it was about the very focused and determined Jordon learning to follow her heart and kind of chill out a little bit.

Jordon is immediately likeable, she is supremely focused and a natural leader on the field but seems to literally live and breathe football. As the quarterback (check me out with all the lingo!) and captain she has gained the respect of the guys on her team, which is no mean feat as they are very stereotypical jock types, so they treat like one of the guys and do a lot of hanging out together eating tonnes before a game. Jordon is determined that she will get to Alabama and play college football and her entire life revolves around this goal until Ty Green arrives on the scene. Not only is Ty heart stopingly gorgeous he's also an amazingly talented quarterback (yikes). Suddenly, the very driven Jordon is vulnerable both on the field and off as she can't stop dreaming about how gorgeous Ty is and even worse than that urggghhh she starts worrying about girlie stuff like her underwear and when she last shaved her legs.

I enjoyed the additional storyline about Jordon's relationship with her NFL playing dad who is rich and famous but can't bring himself to attending one of Jordon's games despite going to every one of her older brother's games. To Jordon his lack of support is crushing, is it because she's a girl? she just wants him to recognise her talent and support her.

Jordon entertained me from start to finish, she's best pals with all these gorgeous athletic footballers but is totally clueless when it comes to actually being romantically involved with one of them and worries that she will be seen as less of a leader and more of a girly girl. Jordon does a power of growing up throughout Catching Jordon not only does she realise that not all cheerleaders are airheads, that some can actually be really nice supportive friends but she also learns a very hard lesson about being seen more of a photo opportunity than a real dedicated sports woman.

I can't not mention Jordon's BFF Henry *fans self* he made my heart literally ache. I loved him to bits and there was quite a few moments where I wanted to shout out loud to Jordon to open her eyes and see what was in front of her.

All you really need to know about American football to enjoy Catching Jordon is that they throw the ball a lot, don't worry about the rest the story itself is so witty and the romance is so deliciously good and that's all that really matters in the end. A really enjoyable contemporary YA romance.

Thanks to Net galley and Sourcebooks fot the opportunity to read Catching Jordon before it's release on the 1st of December.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is great. I'd never heard of this before, but now I really want to read it.

    I know way more about American Football than I'd like to, thanks to a psychotically obsessed boyfriend, so I may as well buy my resentfully obtained knowledge to some use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definetly worth a read Hanna, with your resentfully obtained knowledge you are clearly miles ahead of me I knew nothing about American football but still enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, this is the first official review i have read for this and i am excited!

    i don't know the first thing about football either (and especially not American) but I am really dying to get my hands on this! (well, i've already preorderd it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first review I read of this book too and it's great! I know I'd like Jordan. She risked a lot to put herself out there, which was especially hard since she didn't have the support of her dad, but and she gain so much respect for it. That sounds great!

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nomes and Missie- I love being the first reviewer it makes me full super important!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.