Thursday, 17 November 2011

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Everneath
Everneath #1
Brodi Ashton
Harper Collins
Publication date: 24th Jan 2012
My rating: 4 out of 5



Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

I got a really good feeling about this book just a few chapters in, I just knew I was going to really love it and I was right. Everneath was imaginative, tense, romantic and unputdownable it's a seriously amazing debut novel and well worth a 5 out of 5 rating.

Seventeen year old Becks wakes up in the underworld known as the Everneath and finds she has been a willing human sacrifice for the immortal (and bad boy) Cole who feeds off human emotions in the 100 year feed. It's the memory of her ex-boyfriend Jack that wills Becks back to the surface where only 6 months have passed. Becks wants to see her boyfriend and remaining family before she is dragged back in 6 months to the tunnels in the Everneath.

Everneath cleverly weaves the story of  the 6 month countdown of  Beck's remaining time on the surface with flashbacks of the events that led to Becks making the decision to willingly become Cole's human sacrifice. Both stories literally had me at the edge of my seat as the tension seems to build equally from both stories.

I started off very much on "team Cole" he's dark, dangerous and a big bit irresistible. Cole's like a drug to Becks, as an immortal he can literally take away the pain a person is feeling which is exactly what Becks wants at that point in her life as she battles real feelings of sorrow and desperation. But like any drug Cole sucks the life out of a person until they are a shadow of their former self. As the story unfolded I found myself moving to the "team Jack" camp, he never gave up on Becks in the six month period and its his love for her that wills Becks to continue to fight and survive. It was completely break your heart fantastic.

Everneath really sucked me in, for me it was a story about forgiveness and the power of love and the romantic in me loved it to bits. I was kept guessing right to the end- and what an ending!! I'm really looking forward to what the next installment will bring. Amazing debut.

Thanks to Netgalley and Harper Collins for the opportunity to read Everneath before it's publication on the 24th of January 2012.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was an amazing book, I was so curious about this one (I confess It's mainly because I love the cover). It sounds really interesting with two stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book but I keep getting refused :( Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm dying to read it and I'm so glad I got a review copy as well! Cannot wait to start it. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to, because it sounds awesome.

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.