Thursday, 3 November 2011

Review: The Kite Runner Graphic Novel



The Kite Runner Graphic Novel
Khaled Hosseini
Publication date: 6th September 2011
Guest review by Declan

Since its publication in 2003, nearly 7 million readers have discovered The Kite Runner.
Through Khaled Hosseini's brilliant writing, a previously unknown part of the world was brought to vivid life for readers. Now, in this beautifully illustrated graphic novel adaptation, Hosseini brings his compelling story to a new generation of readers.


My name is Declan and I am 13 years old and live in Glasgow with my parents and little brother.  As a typical teenager I mainly read books from school but also like action and thriller type books.  Lesley gave me the Kite Runner to read as she works with my Mum and was curious to know whether it would be the type of thing to interest someone of my age.

I'd have to say that I was gripped by Kite Runner so much so that I read it cover to cover in a matter of 2 hours, not even stopping for my usual snack!  It is a graphic novel set in Afghanistan in the 1970s and centres on a 12 year old boy, Amir and his best friend Hassan, who is Amir's servant. During the story Hassan promises to help Amir to achieve his ambition of winning the local kite tournament.  Although the two friends are loyal and close, their friendship  threatens Hassan's religion as a Shi'a Muslim and his position as a servant. Amir wins the tournament with the help of Hassan, however the two friends could not imagine the horrific events which changed their lives forever.

This illustrated version of the novel was so well written and put together that it helped tell the story in a more detailed way, allowing you as the reader to understand the full extent of events, and makes the story accessible to a teenage audience. It deals very discreetly with a very traumatic event, while still allowing the reader to understand the extent and full impact of it.

This is a must read for teenagers and adults alike!!!!!



Thank you so much to Declan for taking the time to read and review The Kite Runner Graphic Novel for me, I really appreciate it and I think your review is amazing. Thanks also to Bloomsbury publishing for sending me the review copy in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! You did a great job for your first review ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome first review, very well written and put together. Keep reading them books Declan its nice to read a young persons view :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Awesome review Declan! I agree with Mel, great to see a yong persons view. Well done! Great idea Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Declan you are a star for doing it:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.