Friday, 2 December 2011

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Shatter Me
Shatter Me #1
Tahereh Mafi
Harper Collins
Publication date: 15th Nov 2011
My rating: 4 out of 5



Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Shatter Me is the thoroughly readable debut novel from Tahereh Mafi, despite the really bleak dystopian setting Mafi's writing really blew me away. I had literally read about two thirds of it before I even realised it.

Juliette has been imprisoned in a mental institution for 264 days without any human contact whatsoever. Shunned all her life, even by her own parents, Juliette has never even had a real friend until Adam is thrown into her prison cell. Juliette is no ordinary kinda gal to the Reestablishment Juliette is a weapon of mass destruction as she has the power to kill a person by touch alone. Into the mix comes the truly evil (and a little bit bonkers mad) Warren, who dare I say it, I kind of liked?? Warren is the Reestablishment's chosen son and being a little bit on the power crazy side he wants to own and use Juliette as part of his distardly and evil master plan.

Shatter Me is a pretty addictive read, with a deliciously good love triangle and a main character Juliette who despite having this scary power is actually a good person and doesn't want to use her powers to kill anyone and is crippled by guilt.

About two thirds of the way through Shatter Me takes a dramatic turn and if I'm honest I kind of lost interest a bit, which is a real shame as I had raced through it up to that point. The X-men style people with various superhuman powers seemed a bit meh but I guess it sets itself nicely up for the next installment. That's why Shatter Me has a 4 rating from me- it really could have been a 5.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this one! I haven't been able to read much in November but it still hasn't stopped me buying books. Nothing will ever stop that, NOTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.