Wednesday, 4 January 2012

My book boyfriend #31 Raffe from Angelfall


My book boyfriend is hosted by Missie @ The Unread Reader

My first book boyfriend of 2012 is Raffe the angel from Susan Ee's Angelfall. Raffe has been attacked by five other angels and had his wings chopped off but was rescued by Penryn a seventeen year old girl who was trying to get her mentally ill mother and wheelchair bound younger sister to safety. The evil angels fly off with Penryn's sister so she has to form an unlikely alliance with Raffe to get to the angel aerie to rescue her sister.

Raffe is earth shatteringly gorgeous (even without his wings) with deep blue eyes and the body of an Olympic swimmer, all taut and muscled. He's also incredibly sarcastic and a touch big headed. The snarky banter between Raffe and Penryn throughout their forced partnership had me laughing out loud.


His feet are blistered and raw..I grab it (blister pack) out of his hand. "Here, I'll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot."
"That's a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and some sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet."
That calls for a witty comeback.
"Whatever," I say.
Okay, so I won't be getting the Witty Woman of the Year Award."





"We walk for about an hour before Raffe whispers, “Does moping actually help humans feel better?” We’ve been whispering since we saw the victims on the road.
“I’m not moping,” I whisper back.
“Of course you’re not. A girl like you, spending time with a warrior demigod like me. What’s to mope about? Leaving a wheelchair behind couldn’t possibly show up on the radar compared to that.”
I nearly stumble over a fallen branch. “You have got to be kidding me.”
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status.”
“Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”
He chuckles. “Evolution.” He leans over as if telling me a secret. “I’ll have you know that I’ve been this perfect since the beginning of time.” He is so close that his breath caresses my ear.
“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you’re going to get stuck trying to walk between two trees. And then, I’ll have to rescue you.” I give him a weary look. “Again.”


"His face is so close to mine our breaths mingle. Yet he's far away from me in a place where he's buffeted by emotions deep and unkind. Whatever he's feeling, it's very human. I have this strong compulsion to try to pull him out of this mood, to try to distract him.

I place my hand on his cheek. It's warm and pleasant. Myabe too pleasant. When his eyes don't open, I tentatively touch my lips to his.
At first, I get no response and I consider backing off.
Then, his kiss turns hungry.
It is not the gentle kiss of a couple on a first date, nor is it the kiss of a man driven by simple lust. He kisses me with the desperation of a dying man who belives the magic of eternal life is in this kiss. The ferocity of his grip around my waist and shoulders, the grinding pressure of his lips has me off balance so that my thoughts whirl out of control.
The pressure eases, and the kiss turns sensual."


"You should know, " he says. His whisper is low enough that even angels probably couldn't hear it beyond the background noise of conversations in the corridor. "I don't even like you."

I stiffen in his arms. I don't know what I expected him to say, but that wasn't it.
Unlike him, I'm pretty sure my emotions come through loud and clear on my face. I can feel on of those emotions heating my cheeks in humiliation.
He steps away casually, turns and pushes through the double doors.

I absolutely loved Angelfall (my review is here) the reluctant partnership between Raffe and Penryn was action packed with a delicious little hint of a romance and loads of snarky humour and it's only 77p or 99 cents. You guys need to read it. 

12 comments:

  1. I have never read this book but I love the quotes. And the pictures are really great too! Super hot! I love 99 cent books so I'll check it out.
    My Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book yesterday based on your review! So I am pumped to see Raffe as your book boyfriend! Love the quotes and the delicious photos to go along with them. Great choice and thanks for introducing this book to me!

    Jennifer
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-book-boyfriend-19-arik-wagner.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley!!!

    Who is that beautiful boy?? He does have the bod of an Olympic swimmer. Oh wow!

    I got this book a couple of days ago because I read an amazing review of it. I'm not usually a fan of angels, but I bet Raffe will turn me into his biggest fangirl.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley!!!

    Who is that beautiful boy?? He does have the bod of an Olympic swimmer. Oh wow!

    I got this book a couple of days ago because I read an amazing review of it. I'm not usually a fan of angels, but I bet Raffe will turn me into his biggest fangirl.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty damn sure I need to read this!! OMG it's totally awesome!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! He's amazing. I want him. You've done nicely Lesley. Brava! I'm adding this to my TBR...like...NOW!

    ~Jess
    http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-book-boyfriend-27-noah-shaw.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book recently. It was fantastic! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He would make a good Patch in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the quotes! might have to check out this book. :)
    Here's PiF's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been reading alot of good reviews about the book. Maybe I do need to check this out. I have never read books about angels but Raffe sounds like an angel who can turn that around.

    His wings were chopped off? Oh baby I do hope he got them back! ;(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm running out of words to say with all these hot BBs! So I'll just go with: *Gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love these hot BBF posts!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.