Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall
(Penryn & the End of Days #1)
Susan Ee
Feral dream
Publication date: 21st May 2011
My rating: 5 out of 5 (and then some)




It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Travelling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again

"It's no secret that we're only temporary allies. Neither of us is pretending that this is a lasting partnership. I help him get home with his wings, he helps me find my sister. After that I'll be on my own. I know this. I've never for a moment forgotten about it."

Best book recommendation EVER. Gigantic thanks to Emily and Kara who told me Angelfall was amazing and knew I would love it. They were so right. Hands down Angelfall is completely out of this world amazing, and at 77p or 99cents is the best book bargain imaginable.

Six weeks after an all out attack on earth by angels seventeen year old Penryn is attempting to get her wheelchair bound sister and mentally ill mother to safety when she witnesses and ends up saving a angel who has his snowy wings chopped off by other angels. In anger the main bad guy angel literally takes to the skies with Penryn's sister leaving Penryn to make an unlikely alliance with the wingless angel Raffe. Penryn is determined to get to the angel atrium to rescue her sister and needs Raffe to take her there.

Penryn absolutely stole the show for me, she's smart and resourceful after a lifetime of handling her very unstable and often dangerous mother and her love for her younger sister shines through everything she does. She is quite literally a woman on a  mission. I loved how honest and normal she was, she would have very natural and human moments of sympathy for Raffe but then remember what his kind (the angels) have done to earth which refocused her mind again on her rescue mission.

Raffe is a thoroughly delicious enigma throughout but at the same time he's completely big headed, sarcastic and utterly irresistible. The snarky dialogue between Raffe and Penryn is mouthwateringly good:

We walk for about an hour before Raffe whispers, “Does moping actually help humans feel better?” We’ve been whispering since we saw the victims on the road.
“I’m not moping,” I whisper back.
“Of course you’re not. A girl like you, spending time with a warrior demigod like me. What’s to mope about? Leaving a wheelchair behind couldn’t possibly show up on the radar compared to that.”
I nearly stumble over a fallen branch. “You have got to be kidding me.”
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status.”
“Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”
He chuckles. “Evolution.” He leans over as if telling me a secret. “I’ll have you know that I’ve been this perfect since the beginning of time.” He is so close that his breath caresses my ear.
“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you’re going to get stuck trying to walk between two trees. And then, I’ll have to rescue you.” I give him a weary look. “Again.”


There is however, a hint of something between Raffe and Penryn, just a few tempting moments, a few will they/won't they kind of scenes that literally left me gasping for more.

Angelfall is one of those books that stays in your head and nothing you read after it will seem as good. 5 out of 5 and then some.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard sooo many good things about this recently and when I saw it on Amazon for only 0,89€ I bought a copy immediately. I really hope to get to it soon, because I absolutely love well written angel books.

    Thanks for the great review!
    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will love it Carina, not only is it a bargain but the story is absolutely fantastic. I can't stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a book lives up to expectations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, hadn't heard of this one at all! Glad you liked it so much. It has definitely been added to my goodreads list! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished this last night because my sister insisted I read it. Can't stop thinking about it. I read your "My Book Boyfriend" post before this one. Raffe is quite yummy, isn't he? I can't wait for the sequel and movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought this book I will be moving it up on the TBR pile haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.