Monday, 30 January 2012

Review: Wicked Circle by Linda Robertson


Wicked Circle
Persephone Alcmedi #5
Linda Robertson
Publication date: 27th Dec 2011
My rating: 4.5 out of 5

Persephone Alcmedi has helped her waerewolf lover Johnny unlock his powers. Now she must come to the aid of Menessos, the vampire overlord she has secretly marked. Beset by a trio of truth-seeking vampire sisters so dangerous their own kind keep them confined in stone, he now needs her more than ever...and she realizes her need for him. Seph has magical promises to fulfill for the waeres, multiple mundane family challenges to meet, vampire politics to confront, both the supernatural males in her life to balance, a dragon to deal with...and then a government investigator shows up to complicate matters.

I read the first 4 books in this series in January of last year one after the other, they were that good. I liked the gritty witch/vamp/waere combination so I've had Wicked Circle on my "I must buy the minute it comes out" list for a whole year.

It took me a while to get back into the storyline again, I got a bit confused about the minor characters however, by about a third of the way through I was back in business again and wrapped up in Seph's world.

What really stood out for me in this instalment was the internal power struggle waere Johnny was going through. With Johnny's power being unlocked and as he stars to take up his rightful position of Domn Lup, or head waere guy, his wolfyness has become much more dominant and he has to battle hard to reign his wolf in. Inevitably his scary mean side frightens the life out of Seph and puts their relationship in real jeopardy. And Menessos? I still don't quite trust him. He always seems a couple of steps ahead and I could see Seph's feeling towards him change and I didn't like it. I'm still firmly on team Johnny.

The ending of Wicked Circle had me immediately wanting more, I love this kind of gritty urban fantasy.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one too. It's always difficult to read another book after a while. I have the first one in my TBR pile, can't wait to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great series Melliane, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you I'm very curious I hope I'll like it as much as you do. I just need more time to read it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep - this is one UF series I want to add my collection...although there are a lot of were/vampire/witch triangles out there! Still I do love gritty series...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.