Wednesday, 8 February 2012

My book boyfriend #35 Rory from Breakaway

My book boyfriend is hosted by Missie @ The Unread Reader


I wanted a little change from werewolves, vampires and teenage angst so picked up Breakaway by Deirdre Martin the eleventh (yes eleventh!) book in her New York Blades series. If you're looking for a nice straightforward romance with a touch of Irish humour then it's the book for you.

Rory started dating Erin when they were 14, but a year later his family moved to America although he continued to see Erin every summer for six years. Rory became the first Irish born man playing in the NHL for the New York Blades consequently, he didn't return to Ireland for two years. After waiting for him for two summers Erin gave Rory an ultimatum: either marry her as promised or end their relationship. Rory chose to end it leaving Erin utterly devastated.  Two years later convinced he made the worst mistake of his life Rory returns to Ballycraig Ireland, and sets out to get Erin back.



"What're you smiling about?"
Erin opened her eyes.
"You were smiling," Rory repeated.
"So?"
"You were thinking about me. Us."
"Oh of course. I was thinking about you. Because that's all that anyone in Ballycraig does: think about Rory Brady."
"You were thinking about me," he said lightly. "But you want to deny it, I understand."
"You know what? The only thing bigger than your bollocks is your ego."
Rory laughed, "I'll take that as a compliment."


"Rory looked genuinely bemused, "What are you so afraid of?"
"Do you really need to ask that?"
"Yeah I'm thick. Tell me."
Erin tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Maybe, just maybe, I'm afraid of getting my teeth kicked in again. Just maybe, mind."
"How long do you want me to keep grovelling? Forever? Because if that's what you want, so help me God, I will."


"She was no sooner free of the vehicle's confines than Rory pulled her into his arms. The hug, so heartfelt and fierce, felt like home. She'd forgotten how safe she could feel here. Rory tilted her chin and their eyes locked.
"I love you, I know I don't deserve it. But a life without you is unimaginable, Erin. Please take me back.

Thanks to Nick Ayler for being my Rory. I did look at various real life hockey players but couldn't find anyone quite as gorgeous as Nick.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really cute book. Stupid Rory! He should have just married her in the first place. Hope they end up happy together. Cute quotes and very hot pictures! The cover is super hot and cute too!
    My Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Book Boyfriends. Seriously, I'll have to check this book out because of the quotes (and the images, too?). Sounds like something I'd really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie I love my book boyfriends too! Every single one!!!

      Delete
  3. *completely distracted by the second picture* Umm... I think I will have to read this book sometime....

    haha.

    It sounds super cute both from the synopsis and the quotes, but it's really the 11th book in the series? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the first one in this series Ive actually read. I don't think I would read the other 10.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I want. I'm always facinated with your book boyfriends I've bought two books just because of you Lesley lol. And I think I'll check this series out...just for Rory.

    http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-book-boyfriend-31-shane-collins.html

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really??? OMG I'm totally honoured that you've picked up a book one of my book boyfriends have been in Jess!

      Delete
  5. Lesley! We both have hockey player boyfriends this week! I'll definitely check this series out...Rory sounds awesome! Loving the sexy pics especially number two...

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairytale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-book-boyfriend-24-luc-martineau.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep seeing this series! I love sports romances. I'll add it to my TBR. :) Your guys is HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this series yet, but I will definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, he's lovely with some of the most amazing eyes. You have me wanting to pick up this book! And I love an Irish guy, it's the accent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I'll admit he's hotter than hell, but I really hope Erin doesn't make it easy for him to come back. He better work for it. LOL

    I LOVE those pictures, that first one made me....

    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh oh!! LOVE IT! I will read this book!! Thanks for sharing!! :) :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so cute! I need to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe he chose to ditch her! But this sounds like a great read. Is the whole series about this pair, or different guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's a different guy in each book Belle. I haven't read any of the other ones:)

      Delete
  13. Ok nick is yummy and the book looks good too

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.