Wednesday, 29 February 2012

My book boyfriend #38 Vaughn from Unsticky

My book boyfriend is hosted by Missie @ The Unread Reader

Unsticky by Sara Manning has been on my shelf for ages and I only picked it up when I saw another blogger refer to the main character Vaughn as being a bit like Christian from E.L James Fifty series. There are some similarities but I thought Unsticky was more of a British Pretty Woman type story which I ended up really enjoying.

Grace is up to her eyeballs in debt, living in a damp ridden flat, overlooked at work and was dumped by her latest boyfriend in the handbag department in Liberty's. Vaughn is a rich, successful art dealer, he's old fashioned looking in his late thirties, early forties with a proper public school English accent.

He gives her an interesting proposition. Grace is to be his paid mistress in return for attending arty type events as his eye candy he will give her £5,000 per month and a £2,000 clothing allowance. She uses Vaughn to get out of debt and he uses Grace in his dealings with various arty types and has her at his beck and call.

I have to admit *looks around warily* I actually liked Vaughn. There I've said it. He's a complex kind of character. He's posh, he's really nasty to Grace at times, he unapologetically admits he's difficult to be around, he can be cold, he can be very hot, he can talk dirty when required, he's super confident and also terribly insecure about certain things. He's controlling, impatient and sarcastic and doesn't know what to do when Grace actually makes him happy. I picked David Gandy in a suit as my Vaughn, his hair colour isn't quite right but he has that posh English gentleman thing going on. Here's some of my favourite quotes:





You're offering to buy me a drink? He didn't sound at all repulsed. "That's ... well, rather charming. You lower-middle-class girls do have beautiful manners."
"I am not lower middle class." Grace gritted immediately. "I come from Worthing and my grandfather was a bank manager, for God's sake" Vaughn laughed again and being mad at him made the nerves and the awkwardness melt away. "I'm sorry, did I ask you out for a drink? I must have taken huge amounts of drugs at some point during the evening." 








"So how does this work then?" she asked curiously. "Would I have to live with you?" She had a sudden vision of herself handing Vaughn a perfectly mixed vodka martini as he came through the front door and asking him in a seductive purr, "Hard day at the office dear?"
Vaughn gave a snort of laughter, which nixed that idea. He even slapped one hand against his knee, which was completely unnecessary. "There aren't enough incentives in the world to persuade anyone to put up with me seven days a week."
Grace let out tiny sips of air. "Are you really that bad?"
"Yes I am. I hope it's going to be an exciting experience for you, but I'm not the easiest man to be with. You should think very carefully about what you're agreeing to." Vaughn advised, his eyes fixed unwaveringly on hers. "I'll give you one last chance to back out, but then all bets are off." 







"I'm so proud of you," he said , putting her down again but keeping his arms round her waist. "And you're not taking me out to celebrate this is my treat."
"I'd rather go to bed," Grace said simply as she brushed against Vaughn slowly and deliberately, but when she glanced up to make sure that they were on the same page, he was giving her a quizzical look that wasn't at all convincing.
"Are you tired?" he stepped back and held Grace at arms length, when she tried to follow. "You should have said."
Grace shrugged out of her jacket and let it fall to the floor. Then she started unbuttoning her blouse, Vaughn's eyes voraciously following the steady movement of her fingers. It wasn't until she slipped the blouse off her shoulders and threw it aside, that he took her hand.
"Maybe we both need a power nap" he decided, his eyes darkening as he bent his head to kiss her. 

*Sighs dreamily* every day should be a Gandy candy day don't you think?

12 comments:

  1. He's a real hottie. And I'm loving his description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone like Christian! Always a plus. I'm curious about their arrangement after reading the quotes. Great quotes by the way and great candy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, see, this is why I LOVE you Lesley, you introduce me to new men, that I want. And I want Vaughn now, he sort of reminds me of Christian, but only a little bit. And that's OK with me. Adding to TBR!

    Nothing from me this week, but I'll be back next week with a vengence!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the last quote! It cracks me up. :)

    I love how we love asshole men in books, but if we ever met them in real life, we'd hate their guts. This is why I love books. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's hot! Put this book in my TBR!
    http://www.autumnreview.com/2012/02/my-book-boyfriend-229-clayton-clay.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this, but I will definitely be adding it to my wishlist. I love Pretty Woman so this sounds perfect for me. I completely agree about David Gandy day...it should be a national holiday!

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairytale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-book-boyfriend-27-cam-rohan.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once you mentioned the British version of Pretty Woman, you completely convinced me. I want to see just how jerky Vaughn can get, not to mention how hot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard about this book but this guy is super hot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's tall, dark and handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooow!! I totally love the quotes!! I should definitely pick this book up!! :) Great pick! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooohhh! he'd do nicely! Lol! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This boook should turn into a movie....it will be even more successful than bridget...i am crazy about vaughn.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.