Thursday, 23 February 2012

Review: The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

The Alchemy of Forever
Incarnation #1
Avery Williams
Simon & Schuster UK
Publication date: 1st March 2012


After spending six hundred years on Earth, Seraphina Ames has seen it all. Eternal life provides her with the world's riches but at a very high price: innocent lives. Centuries ago, her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to take the bodies of other humans from jumping from one vessel to the next, ending the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again.

Then sixteen-year old Kailey Morgan gets into a horrific car accident right in front of her, and Sera accidentally takes over her body while trying to save her. For the first time, Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting--and falling in love with the boy who lives next door. But Cyrus will stop at nothing until she's his again, and every moment she stays, she's putting herself and the people she's grown to care about in danger. Will Sera have to give up the one thing that's eluded her for centuries: true love

I'm a bit undecided about The Alchemy of Forever. The premise was really interesting, the characters likeable but I think it needed a bit more of the chillingly evil bad guy Cyrus the alchemist's son who made Sera immortal. Sera is so desperate to escape his evil clutches that she is willing to end her life for good but in witnessing a car crash she accidental takes over a new body, something that she loathes herself for doing. This time she actually enjoys her new life until her past starts to catch up with her.  For me, Cyrus was missing for a large part of the book and I felt the story lacked a certain driving force because of it.

What did grab me about The Alchemy of Forever was the enormous cliff hanger ending, designed obviously to entice the reader into buying the next instalment in the series. I usually despair of cliffhanger endings but this was a really outstanding what the hell????? moment and guarantees I will be checking out the sequel. I'm just hoping that I get to see much more of Cyrus in the next book.

My rating: 3.5 out of 5
Thanks to Simon & Schuster UK for the opportunity to read and review The Alchemy of Forever.

9 comments:

  1. Cyrus sounds like a great bad guy. I didn't know this book, but I really like the synopsis. I understand it must be difficult to not have cyrus in a long part of the book. I would be curious about your opinion about the second book and hope it will improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melliane, I definetly like my bad guys to be really bad and I like to see loads of them being super bad!

      Delete
  2. I totallly can't wait to read this, but I'm a bit pre-emptive as I love my bad guys to play a big part and so I think my rating may be similar to yours.

    Thank you SO much for letting steal your copy, you are an absolute angel and I do wish you'd let me give you a book in return!

    Awesome post as always Lesley! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Jade, I'll need to look out for your review now:)

      Delete
  3. Aaah, another review telling me about the cliffhanger. I have this on my shelf and hope to get to it soon, but I'm seriously afraid of cliffhangers. :D

    Thanks a lot for your review! I can't wait to see whether I'll like it. :)

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina I LOVED the cliffhanger so go for it!

      Delete
  4. Mixed reviews on this..so do not feel bad..great review. I have this..but keep pushing it around my pile..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alchemy of Forever is on my TBR pile but there do seem to be heaps of mixed reviews so I'm a little hesitant to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wuite fancy reading this one but Im not sure if I'll enjoy it... I might still give it a go but it has got a few mixed reviews!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.