Monday, 27 February 2012

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood


Born Wicked
(The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)
Jessica Spotswood
Publication date: 7th Feb 2012




"Blessed with a gift..."cursed" with a secret."
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship - or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word . . . especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood - not even from each other

I've been a big fan of books about witches since I read Anne Rice's fantastic series about the Mayfair witches so I was really looking forward to Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood.

It took me longer than I expected to finish it, the first half was a bit too slow for me I didn't exactly struggle to read it but I wasn't exactly engrossed either. Born Wicked really picks up speed and gets really interesting at just over the half way mark. I loved the historical feel of it- very Salem witch trials- Spotswood does a fantastic job of immersing the reader into that repressive, straight laced religious society that's rotten to the core and built on fear. The Brotherhood rule with an iron fist and no-one is above suspicion. Children are taught that magic is devil sent and that the women who perform magic are either wicked or mad. When accused of witchcraft the women or girls are either carted off to the asylum or prison ship. You get the feeling the Brotherhood would love to revert back to burning suspected witches at the stake.

Although the romance between Cate and Finn was very sweet (Finn the would be gardener is completely adorable) it was the relationship between the three sisters that really caught my interest. As the oldest Cate bears all the responsibility of protecting her younger sisters from both the Brotherhood and the Sisterhood. Second sister Maura is impulsive and I'm sure there is more to see from youngest sister Tess, the sisters relationship was very well written and I loved their ever changing balance of power.

Ratings wise I keep changing my mind, it's worth a four out of five but it did take a while to really get going. I will however be buying the next instalment as I do want to see what's install for the Cahill sisters and their prophecy.

My rating: nearly a four out of five...

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to read this book since it seems so exciting, but I'm not a big fan of slow starts either. Hm. Interesting review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone who agrees with me!!! I think this is the first review I've read that agrees with me about how it's really slow in the beginning and took a while to get into. Everyone else is just raving about how good the book is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting review. I've been reading nothing but glowing reviews for this book, which caused me to go out and buy the book. It's refreshing to read that this book does indeed have a flaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting this on my TBR list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted my review this morning, and I agree with the slow start. I blame that on the world building. About halfway through it picks up nicely. From where this book left off the story can go in so many different directions. I think the rest of the series will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always difficult when the beginning is a little slow. You're right I also love books about witches, I haven't read the Anne Rice series, but maybe I need to. I'm very curious to read it! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.