Monday, 13 February 2012

Review: Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Firelight
Darkest London #1
Kristen Callihan
Publication date: 31st Jan 2012
My rating: 5 out of 5



London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . . Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask

Don't tell my other books but Firelight is by far my favourite book of 2012, in fact it's up there with my all time favourites. After reading it via Net Galley I had to buy a copy, it's a real page turner and I couldn't get enough of it.

Firelight has a bit of everything in it. Set in dark Gothic Victorian London, it has a touch of paranormal with the heroine Miranda's fire starting powers, a whodunit murder mystery with connections to a mysterious men's club that kept me guessing throughout and, the agonisingly delicious mystery that is Lord Benjamin Archer the masked tortured hero.

Lord Archer (who is my newest book boyfriend recruit for sure) is a wealthy aristocrat with a lethal reputation in London society which makes societies ladies swoon with fright. He's a loner, tortured by his inner demons and has spent years searching for a cure to his mysterious "curse."  The heroine Miranda is both gutsy and loyal. Sent out by her once wealthy father as a pick pocket Miranda is forced to steal to survive and as a result of her father's actions finds herself in an arranged marriage to Lord Archer. I adored the sloooooow burn of their relationship. As the tension and desire starts to escalate between the two characters I had to physically stop myself from jumping ahead and reading the final chapter to see if they got their happy ending.

I loved the scenes with Archer and Miranda, they're both hiding secrets from each other, both frightened of opening up and both fearing rejection. The sexual tension was unbearably good, very Mac and Barrons-esque. This dark Lord is a romantic, protective and completely swoon worthy hero.

Firelight kept me guessing right to the end. Is Archer some kind of supernatural creature? Is he badly disfigured under his mask? What exactly was the weird men's club actually involved in? Who is bumping off the men's club members and why? and when will Archer and Miranda FINALLY kiss and realise they are perfect for each other?? Honestly, it was real edge of the seat stuff I loved it.

Firelight is the best book of 2012 so far. I've already pre-ordered the sequel. Check out my picture below which shows just how much I loved it. The pink post its are all my favourite swoon worthy bits (highlighted of course for ease of reference *giggles*).


Thanks to Net galley and Grand Central Publication for the opportunity to read and review Firelight.

4 comments:

  1. Unpredictability sounds good and so does Firelight! Thanks so much for the review. I'm definitely going to get this. Esp. when its the best book you've read so far in 2012! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it that much I really liked it. I was very surprise by the story. I'm very curious about the sequel too. The covers are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lots of swoon-worthy bits! This one is coming up for me and so I'm so excited. You really have me drooling for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to put it down! I don't want it to end!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.