Monday, 6 February 2012

Review: Love & Leftovers by Sarah Tregay


Love & Leftovers
Sarah Tregay
Published: 27th Dec 2011

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer--from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She's left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.
By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "summer vacation" has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it?

"If there was a restart button that'd reboot my parent's relationship I'd press it"

It was with a fair amount of trepidation that I started reading Love & Leftovers. I liked the cover and the blurb but I didn't realise it was written in poetry form. As a simple kind of gal I was a bit worried that a. I wouldn't get it. and b. It would start to annoy me. In the end neither happened and I ended up being swept away by Marcie's story.

When Marcie's mum finds out that her husband and Marcie's dad is gay she uproots Marcie and moves her to New Hampshire leaving behind her sweet emo-ish boyfriend and a loyal circle of friends known as the "leftover's." Marcie finds herself having to care for her mum falls into a depression. As the parent and child roles are reversed Marcie finds she has no one to turn to so when J.D (who is actually pretty lovely) pays her a little bit of attention Marcie against her own better judgement forgets all about her emo-ish boyfriend and spends all her time with J.D.

Love & Leftovers was quite sweet, with a touch of the bittersweet about it. I had a couple of "OMG I'm going to cry" moments especially when Marcie has to go back with her dad to face the music with the leftovers and emo-ish boyfriend. I read it/devoured it in just a couple of hours and in the end I actually really enjoyed the different way it was written even if the story wasn't the most original it did tug at my heartstrings. Good debut and well worth a read.

My rating 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.