Thursday, 16 February 2012

Review: Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale

Someone Else's Life
Katie Dale
Publication date: 2nd Feb 2012
My rating: 4 out of 5



When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all...

I know that this is a over used book reviewing cliche but Someone Else's Life really is a roller-coster of a story. It twists and turns throughout, just as I thought the story was heading in one direction yet another surprise was thrown into the mix. My advise is don't over analyse the plot twists in this one, just go with the flow to the end as it's a worthwhile read.

Rosie's story was heartbreakingly good (dying Mum's always tug at my heartstrings) after losing her mum to Huntington's disease Rosie has to make the potentially life changing decision to be tested for Huntington's herself as it's hereditary in 50% of cases. This results in her finding out that the mother she nursed through a terminal illness wasn't actually her real mother. What Rosie doesn't realise is that her very personal quest to unearth the truth about her birth will affect the lives of numerous other people. As the story of her birth unfolds it really highlights that one "little" lie, even if done with the best of intentions can have wide reaching and heart breaking consequences.

Someone Else's Life was thoroughly entertaining in a over the top but still quite sad way. It really made me think if some family secrets are actually best left untouched. Equally, it made me consider if I would really want to know if I had a terminal illness that might not affect me for a number of years, could I stand not knowing or would it make me value life more? I'm not sure what I would do.
Despite all of the melodrama Someone Else's Life kept me hooked from the very first page right to the end.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster UK for the opportunity to read and review Someone Else's Life.

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds quite interesting! I've seen it on Goodreads before and it's been on my wishlist for a while but I still need to get a copy. I'm not sure if I could stand not knowing either - I think I couldn't. Great review!

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky, you should definetly buy it it's well worth a read.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed it to, there were so many revelations that it did almost start to get a bit silly but it was really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review...family secrets are tough. I might pick this one up

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.