Monday, 26 March 2012

Review: Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane


Sacrificial Magic
Downside Ghosts # 4
Stacia Kane
Publication date: 27th March 2012





When Chess Putnam is ordered by an infamous crime boss—who also happens to be her drug dealer—to use her powers as a witch to solve a grisly murder involving dark magic, she knows she must rise to the challenge. Adding to the intensity: Chess’s boyfriend, Terrible, doesn’t trust her, and Lex, the son of a rival crime lord, is trying to reignite the sparks between him and Chess.

Plus there’s the little matter of Chess’s real job as a ghost hunter for the Church of Real Truth, investigating reports of a haunting at a school in the heart of Downside. Someone seems to be taking a crash course in summoning the dead—and if Chess doesn’t watch her back, she may soon be joining their ranks.

As Chess is drawn into a shadowy world of twisted secrets and dark violence, it soon becomes clear that she’s not going to emerge from its depths without making the ultimate sacrifice

I have a long held belief that no matter what book I pick up after reading one of Stacia Kane's books it will not compare in any shape or form to the Downside Ghost's series. After reading the first three books in quick succession I found myself continually drifting back to my favourite Chessiebomb and Terrible scenes (relevant pages highlighted for ease of reference of course- see below) Her books have ruined me for all other books they're that good.


Downside Ghosts is up there as one of my all time favourite series. Sometimes though, even those favourite series have a book that's just a bit meh, like those filler songs on your favourite bands albums that you listen to one or twice and then just skip over to get to your real favourite songs. Not so with Sacrificial Magic. The fourth book is every bit as good and as strong as the previous books and has some of the most A-MAZING Chessiebomb and Terrible scenes that are absolutely worth one of my special green post its. (High praise indeed I know).

I've always loved Chess, she's like no other female character I've ever read. She's not your stereotypically strong kick ass chick, she's seriously flawed with a self destructive streak a mile long and I felt that even more in Sacrificial Magic. I loved that she wasn't "cured" of all her feelings of guilt and self loathing in Sacrificial Magic just because she's got her man. To me, it was much more agonisingly realistic that Chess's fear and guilt and feelings of real worthlessness remain and in fact seem to be heightened by the fact she's in a relationship with Terrible. It just broke my heart that Chess doesn't know how to have a normal relationship. She's so terrified that Terrible is going to wisen up realise she's worthless and run off in the opposite direction that she's almost actually willing it to happen. As Chess agonises that she's going to mess her relationship up I 100% agonised on her behalf.

"It grew so exhausting waiting for the other shoe to drop that she wondered if she wasn't trying to make it fall already. Sometimes, even she almost wanted to tell him to just end it and get it over with. But she couldn't. Just the thought of it... No. She couldn't."

I know it's a real book reviewing cliche to say Sacrificial Magic is a roller coaster ride of a book but for me it really really was. I loved every minute, every page of it.

If you're already a fan of the series you will love Sacrificial Magic. If you have "Terrible Fever" you will love Sacrificial Magic. If you have a soft spot for Chessiebomb the most amazingly flawed female character out there right now you will love Sacrificial Magic. If you've never read any of the books and are currently wondering what the hell I'm going on about, go buy the them you will love them. Nothing out there right now compares.

My rating: 5 out of 5 (and then some).

Thanks to Net galley for allowing me the opportunity to read Sacrificial Magic before it's release date, my official pre-ordered copy arrived a couple of days ago and now has pride of place on my favourite series bookcase, green post its and all.

2 comments:

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.