Thursday, 19 April 2012

After Fifty review: Bared To You by Sylvia Day

13451045
Bared To You
Crossfire #1
Sylvia Day
Publication date: 3rd April 2012

Bared to You has been heralded as the new Fifty, it certainly felt very Fiftyish to me reading it but it had a grittier feel to it. It does have a hot billionaire CEO with a troublesome past, Gideon is also domineering, controlling and shows some real stalkerish tendencies not unlike Christian. But unlike Fifty Shades the heroine Eva is a much more complex character and I ended up liking her a lot. Like Gideon she is the victim of childhood abuse and has some serious demons. I liked that her character went from strong to vulnerable to strong again it made her seem really realistic to me.

It's lust at first sight for Eva and Gideon, these two tortured souls seem drawn to each other from the word go. The have real similarities, both are possessive and insecure. Gideon thinks nothing of investigating Eva's background, her friends and seems to own every building and company in the world (how very Fiftyish). Equally, Eva runs off on numerous occasions when there is any kind of mention or indication that Gideon has had other women in the past. Her ability to blame Gideon for, well, just about everything did get on my nerves at times. They are however, as sexual as each other. Eva is certainly no wall flower she's just as demanding as Gideon and although it's suggested that Gideon is a bit of a dom it didn't come across that way to me. There are many many sexy times in Bared to You and I actually thought they were better than the sexy times in Fifty Shades, they just seemed more gritty, dirty and real.

Eva's overbearing mother annoyed me no end. Her relationship with her mother was seriously dysfunctional. To me, Eva had real strength to be in a relationship and put up with Gideon's "issues" but seemed to lack the same strength and resolve when it came to her own mother. I guess the power of a mother's guilt trip will always overcome. Equally, I went from liking Eva's roommate Cary as he seemed sweet and supportive at first, then as I realised he too was a victim of abuse I felt really sorry for him but his behaviour at the end and his overwhelming determination to seriously muck up any form of good relationship in his life frustrated me. I realise his actions are probably a consequence of his traumatic upbringing but I just didn't like him very much at the end.

Eva summed up Bared To Me when she asked her therapist if two individuals with real demons, who have both been a victim of some form of abuse can actually have a normal and happy relationship together. I think the jury is still out on this one. Whereas Eva is pretty upfront with Gideon about her traumatic past Gideon isn't quite on the same page. It's hinted in Bared To You what happened to Gideon and he certainly seems to think that Eva knows more about how screwed up he really is more than anyone else but I'm not sure I would call their all consuming and volatile relationship a normal and happy kind of relationship.

Overall, I thought Bared to you was both hot and addictive. Fans of Fifty Shades will love it but don't expect the laughs and giggles provided by Ana and Christian's emails this is definitely much grittier.


after fiftyAfter Fifty rating: 4 out of 5

Alpha maleness Thumbs up
Has “issues” Thumbs up
Protective streak Thumbs up
Billionaire Thumbs up



hothothothot

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Lesley....I LOVE IT...After Fifty! I'm so going to add this to TBR list and I'm sure Jess will too. Great review. Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book. I am currently hooked on 50 Shades and have read all three book at least 3 times. This story offered the adult theme and passion that was in 50 Shades but also gave the reader some mystery as we try to guess at what is going on with the back stories of Cross and Eva. I am really looking forward to the second book to see where it is going. The end of the story does not seem to set up and new plot lines for book 2. If you enjoyed the raw sex and language on 50 Shades and the passion and sometimes childish behavior of Beautiful Disaster then you should enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of 'What I read after Fifty'. I have seen a lot of people are enjoying this one so I have brought it on my kindle xD

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.